This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7174 / 51°43'2"N
Longitude: -2.1947 / 2°11'40"W
OS Eastings: 386644
OS Northings: 202092
OS Grid: SO866020
Mapcode National: GBR 1MZ.9Y0
Mapcode Global: VH954.X338
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 24 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1172221
English Heritage Legacy ID: 133004
Location: Minchinhampton, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL5
Civil Parish: Minchinhampton
Built-Up Area: Stroud
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Brimscombe Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 8602-8702 MINCHINHAMPTON BRIMSSCOMBE HILL
12/213 Church of the Holy Trinity
Parish church. 1840 for David Ricardo M.P.; altered 1881.
Coursed and squared limestone; Welsh slate and artificial stone
slate roofs. Nave without aisles, north east tower and west
chancel. Romanesque style. Central round arched doorway to east
and with jamb shafts having scalloped capitals; 2 flanking blank
arches Five bay blank round arched arcade above. Central
circular window with looped tracery. Shallow clasping corner
buttresses. Round arched doorway to porch in base of tower.
Belfry has stylised lombard frieze below lower string course; 2
round arched recesses to each face with smaller belfry openings
within. Corner shafts to belfry. Stone coped pyramidal roof
with grotesque corbels, roll mouldings to corners and centre of
each face and iron weather-vane finial. Round arched nave windows
with zig-zag frieze to eaves. Projecting gabled organ-loft
towards west end has round arched window recess with circular
window. Romanesque triplet to west end.
Interior: 5-bay timber truss roof to nave. Timber panelled
balcony at east end. Large round chancel arch has painted
lettering: 'The LORD is in His HOLY TEMPLE'. Encaustic tiled
chancel floor. Most fittings appear contemporary with
construction, organ-loft being an 1881 addition. Some good
stained glass: west triplet and 2 nave windows. by Heaton, Butler
and Bayne. One of the two churches built by Ricardo after sub-
division of Minchinhampton ecclesiastical parish, this exhibits his
distaste for Tractarian principals by having the chancel at west
(N.M. Herbert, 'Minchinhampton' in V.C.H. Glos. xi, 1976, pp. 184-
207; and D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)
Listing NGR: SO8664402092
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings