History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Butler's Court Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Boddington, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.922 / 51°55'19"N

Longitude: -2.1442 / 2°8'39"W

OS Eastings: 390181

OS Northings: 224845

OS Grid: SO901248

Mapcode National: GBR 1KJ.JQB

Mapcode Global: VH940.SYBF

Entry Name: Butler's Court Farmhouse

Listing Date: 7 December 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1172272

English Heritage Legacy ID: 126542

Location: Boddington, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL51

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Boddington

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Staverton with Boddington

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Cheltenham

Listing Text

BODDINGTON -
SO 92 SW
7/1 Butler's Court Farmhouse
II
Farmhouse. Early C18; early C19, 1849 (datestone), altered late
C19, mid C20. Flemish bond and English garden wall bond brickwork,
latter of 2 periods, stone slate to tall block facing garden,
otherwise tiled roofs. Three-window, 3-storey garden front, 2
rooms deep, reducing to 16 storeys at rear: one bay, 16 storeys on
right, 2 storey wing on left to rear. Garden front: reddish
Flemish bond brickwork changes to browner English garden wall bond
just below head of first floor windows. Front now (1987) near
symmetrical. On left 16-pane sash with flat, rubbed-brick arch,
area of brown brick to left: 6-panel door, marked as double doors,
bottom panels flush, sidelights, all under single-storey gabled
porch, brick sill walls to sides, 2-bay open timber above,
scalloped barge boards. Similar window to right. First-floor 16-
pane sash each side, as below, 12-pane in centre: jamb of earlier
window to left of left window. Second floor windows as first, but
no lintels: dentil eaves. Two external chimneys on right return,
paired diamond-set stacks on rear in left bay. To right of front
single-bay dating from mid C20. Long wing at rear on left, with
stone plinth, end elevation 2 stone lancet windows ground floor,
paired above, datestone (1849) in apex. Stone windows said to be
reused from demolished chapel. Garden front originally 2 storey,
upper floor added in early C19 and windows altered. Fourth bay and
2-storey bay beyond demolished in 1960's and replaced by single-
bay, 1½ storey wing.
(V.C.H. Gloucestershire, VIII, 1968, p 192)


Listing NGR: SO9018124845

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.