This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8203 / 51°49'12"N
Longitude: -1.7056 / 1°42'20"W
OS Eastings: 420386
OS Northings: 213555
OS Grid: SP203135
Mapcode National: GBR 4R8.TWF
Mapcode Global: VHBZR.DH5Y
Entry Name: Barrington Park
Listing Date: 23 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1172292
English Heritage Legacy ID: 130752
Location: Barrington, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, OX18
Civil Parish: Barrington
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Great Barrington St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
BARRINGTON BARRINGTON PARK
10/20 Barrington Park
Exterior and interior not accessible at time of survey (May 1986).
Palladian style country house, built 1736-8 for Charles Talbot,
Lord Chancellor to George II, reputedly designed by William Kent
but more probably designed and built by Francis Smith of Warwick.
Extended in keeping 1870-3 by Edward Rhys Wingfield (architects
William Burn, J. McV Anderson and H. L. Anderson). Ashlar, stone
slate roof with ashlar stacks. Rectangular plan to the C18 main
body with late C19 extensions at each gable end. C19 porch added
to the entrance front. Two storeys and rusticated basement.
Entrance front; 3:3:3-windowed with the C18 treated as three wide
bays at the centre. Windows to basement under each ground floor
window: 15-pane sashes with moulded architraves, triangular
pediments and pulvinated friezes and console brackets to the outer
bays of the C18 main body. Two-pane sashes with moulded
architraves and entablatures with consoles to the C19 extensions.
The C18 main body has 4 pairs of giant Corinthian pilasters, and an
entablature with a modillion cornice and a triangular pediment over
the central bay. Balustraded parapet either side of the pediment,
similar parapet at a slightly lower level to the C19 extensions.
Central C19 projecting, single-storey, flat-roofed porch with a
banded plinth and three round-headed archways with keystones and a
balustraded parapet. The original front door survives within the
porch and has a tripartite 'Venetian' arrangement.
South front; rusticated basement under a piano nobile. 3:5:3
windowed with canted bays, extending up to the height of the first
floor to the C19 extensions. The basement level of these bays is
lit by 4-pane sashes. The basement of the C18 main body is lit by
9-pane sashes. Two-pane sashes with valances to the piano nobile
and upper floor. The ground floor windows to the C18 main body
have alternate segmental and triangular pediments. All other
windows have lugged architraves. Five giant Corinthian pilasters
divide the bays of the central block which has an entablature with
a modillion cornice and triangular pediment over the central three
bays. Stone balustrade either side of the pediment and at a
slightly lower level to the C19 extensions. The balustrade is
swept up in the form of a parapet up the former gable ends of the
C18 range. Hipped roofs to the C19 extensions. Gable-end and
lateral stacks with moulded cappings.
Interior; reputed to be relatively unaltered. The entrance hall
has rich plasterwork and eight elaborately carved pedimented door
frames. The Hall, Drawing Room and Tapestry Room have ceilings
attributed by D. Verey to Bagutti. The latter room has groups of
musical instruments over the doorways and a frieze decorated with
realistic shells above the tapestries made for the room. The
chimney piece in this room is contemporary, but that in the drawing
room is late C18 with Wedgwood plaques.
The C19 extensions provided a billiard room, dining room and
boudoir as well as a new staircase and additional bedrooms and
staff quarters. The boudoir is in the style of Adam and is
reputedly among the best of Victorian pastiche plasterwork.
(David Verey, The Buildings of England; The Cotswolds, 1979,
V.C.H. Glos., Vol VI, p18-19; Print in S. Rudder, A New History of
Gloucestershire, 1979 showing the unextended house; and N.
Kingsley notes for forthcomng book n.d.)
Listing NGR: SP2038613555
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings