This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5569 / 52°33'24"N
Longitude: 0.8645 / 0°51'52"E
OS Eastings: 594282
OS Northings: 299303
OS Grid: TL942993
Mapcode National: GBR RBN.PDM
Mapcode Global: WHLSH.7ZXQ
Entry Name: Church of Ss Peter and Paul
Listing Date: 16 July 1958
Last Amended: 31 August 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1172332
English Heritage Legacy ID: 220067
Location: Griston, Breckland, Norfolk, IP25
Civil Parish: Griston
Built-Up Area: Griston
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Griston St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
GRISTON CHURCH ROAD
11/30 Church of ss Peter and Paul
(Formerly listed as Church of
16.7.58 St Peter and St Paul)
Parish church. C14 rebuilt 1477. Restored 1884 by J.B. Pearce. Flint with
ashlar dressings and plain tiled roof. West tower, nave and chancel. Tower
in building 1477, incomplete in 1538, belfry 1568. 4 stages with diagonal
buttresses. Flushwork base with shields and squares. 3-light Perpendicular
west window above arched door. Ventilation panel to ringing chamber. 2-light
belfry windows with mouchettes. Battlemented flushwork parapet and full height
stair turret to south. Nave with wave moulded south door on head stops. 3
buttresses; to east diagonal. 3-light panel tracery windows and fleuron freize.
Chancel has 2-light Y window, priest's door and 3-light Perpendicular window.
4-light east window mid C14 : cusped lights supporting elongated quatrefoils
in Y frame with encircled quatrefoil above. Hollow mouldings and hood. East
gable with parapet on kneelers as nave. Single 2-light Perpendicular window
to north, rood stair turret and north nave as south. Large north porch with
diagonal buttresses and 2 Perpendicular windows of 1884. Interior has tall
tower arch with gallery. Screen c.1370. Large ogee central arch with spandrels
of reticulation net. 4 bays left and right ogeed with quatrefoils above.
Pulpit late C16, tester early C17 carved. C16 box pew west of screen. Some
C16 pews in chancel, remainder 1884. Bench sedilia in chancel south wall,
otherwise chancel dado panelled C19. Pitchpine roofs of 1884. Nave : wall
plate, double collars on arched braces, 2 tiers moulded butt purlins, 6 C15
angels at wall plate. Chancel : single collar and wind bracing. C15 oak chest
with lock. Tower staircase door late C15.
Listing NGR: TL9428299303
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings