History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Margaret

A Grade I Listed Building in Cley Next the Sea, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9464 / 52°56'47"N

Longitude: 1.0475 / 1°2'51"E

OS Eastings: 604850

OS Northings: 343130

OS Grid: TG048431

Mapcode National: GBR T8X.7N6

Mapcode Global: WHLQV.263J

Entry Name: Church of St Margaret

Listing Date: 4 October 1960

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1172407

English Heritage Legacy ID: 224570

Location: Cley Next the Sea, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR25

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

Civil Parish: Cley Next The Sea

Built-Up Area: Cley next the Sea

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Cley St Margaret St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Wiveton

Listing Text

TG 0443 CLEY NEXT THE SEA CLEY GREEN, NEWGATE

9/18 Church of St. Margaret
4.10.60
I


Parish church, C14 and C15. Flint with stone dressings, grey corrugated
tiles. North-west tower, nave, north and south aisles, ruined north and
south transepts, chancel, north, south and west porches. South facade: eleven
C14 clerestorey windows of cusped 'Y' tracery alternating with larged cusped
cinquefoils, a single lancet at either end, large figure pinacles to gable
bases, large crosses to gable apices, that to west renewed. Mid C15 south
aisle with flush work parapet, 4 4-light windows having panel tracery and
octofoil at apex under pointed segmental heads, similar window to west, coped
angle buttress to south-west with trefoil headed niches, buttresses between
windows of facade. 2 storeyed south porch to 2nd bay, 2 bays deep, ashlared
golden limestone, vaulted upper niches to angle buttresses, plinth frieze
of alternate shields and roses; Perpendicular porch arch with continuous
order of shields and roses, the shields with arms of benefactors, 2nd order
arch with flower ornament to front and rear above polygonal shafts, blank
tracery in spandrels with shields showing enblems of Holy Trinity and the
Passion, benefactors arms outside including those of Anne of Bohemia, died
1394. 2 3-light openings under pointed segmental heads and having stepped
embattled transoms, figure heads to hood moulds; large vaulted niche between
having round shafts and canted traceried canopy; sundial above. Flamboyant
fretwork parapet above flush work frieze of quatrefoils; polygonal stair
turret to north-west with similar parapet. 2-light unglazed openings to
returns of 1st bay of porch having tracery as in aisle windows. Porch
Interior: floor rises towards doorway, stone benches, groined tierceron
vaulting with bosses springing from round attached columns. Ogee arch to
C14 doorway with lion head stops, inner trefoil headed order, each foil
cusped. Thick marble threshold with indents for brass shields and scrolls,
not a reused tomb. Roofless south transept: stepped angle buttresses of
stone dressed knapped flint having coped gables and niches. Square crocketted
pinacles at angles with gabled panels to sides; crocketted south gable having
broken cross at apex. 4-light opening to south with Geometric tracery of
2 large quatrefoils in circles below a lozenge with 4 cusped quatrefoils;
3-light openings to east and west walls, ogee headed lights to east,
reticulated to west. East window of aisle as transept east window. Blocked
east window to nave above string course of former chancel roof. Slate roof
to low chancel, priests door and 3 'Y' tracery windows to south wall, that
to east renewed; 5-light Perpendicular east window having panel tracery
under segmental head imposed on blocked earlier lancets. Stepped buttresses
at angles. North facade: one 'Y' tracery window to chancel; ruined north
transept having part walls, with no details, only. Clerestorey and north
aisle windows as south; parapet to clerestorey with elaborate panel and
quatrefoil flushwork. Small north porch with slate roof; pointed segmental
arch having continuous mouldings to 1st and 3rd orders, round shafts to 2nd.
Cusped 2-light unglazed openings under square heads to returns. North
doorway with continuous mouldings. 3 stage north-west tower with angle
buttresses and embattled parapet, small stair turret to north-east, lancets
to 1st stage, 2 blocked to west, narrow slit windows to west, one to north,
2-light cusped ogee headed bell openings, tracery lost to west. Large 6-light
Perpendicular west nave window, the panel tracery renewed, transomed lights.
West porch rebuilt 191l, coursed pebble flint, angle buttresses, embattled
parapet with crocketted finials at angles. C14 west doorway having deep
mouldings, outer order with large roses having angel head at apex, round
shafts, inner order with cusped cinquefoil head, crocketted hood mould
with crowned figure stops. C14 door with Decorated foliage to strap hinges;
part of Purbeck marble stoup.
Interior: Nave roof of c.1970, boarded, arched braced collars with fretwork
above alternate collars in Decorated style; C15 roofs to aisles having fret-
work spandrels to arch braces. C14 6 bay north and south arcades having
octagonal piers and moulded arches; large varied figure corbels within
spandrels to south showing traces of colour, panelled corbels to north
spandrels with vaulted crocketted canopies above. Figure and foliage central
stops to arch mouldings to aisles. Floor partly paved with C15 12" marble
slabs. Chancel arch with polygonal shafts, ovolo mouldings between hollow
chamfered mouldings. Wide cinquefoil headed piscina with hollow chamfered
arch, C17 altar with strapwork frieze, top renewed and enlarged; 6 stalls
of 1530s with misericords showing merchants mark (John Greneway) with JG
impaling the Grocers' company. Pulpit dated 1611 having two slender turned
columns to angles between panels having renaissance arches. 24 C15 benchends
with animals and grotesques, many poppy heads incorporating figures. C15
octagonal seven sacrament font. Fragments of stained glass in north chancel,
series of female saints in tracery panels in south aisle, c.1460. Slender
shafts to rear arch of west doorway. C15 west gable cross now in south aisle.
North of font achievement board of Charles 1, altered for Queen Anne.
Large monumental brass 1512 to John Symonds and wife Agnes in shrouds, and
separate named children; good group of 6 sons c.1460 - both south aisle;
various C16 brass inscriptions and figures.


Listing NGR: TG0485043130

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.