History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Lawrence

A Grade II* Listed Building in Farnham, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9349 / 50°56'5"N

Longitude: -2.0614 / 2°3'40"W

OS Eastings: 395783

OS Northings: 115050

OS Grid: ST957150

Mapcode National: GBR 2ZZ.7ND

Mapcode Global: FRA 66KM.YHP

Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence

Listing Date: 14 July 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1172411

English Heritage Legacy ID: 103640

Location: Farnham, North Dorset, Dorset, DT11

County: Dorset

District: North Dorset

Civil Parish: Farnham

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Farnham St Laurence

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Farnham

Listing Text

FARNHAM
ST 91 NE -

2/12 Church of St Lawrence
14.7.55
GV II*

Parish church. Nave probably C12 origin, south tower late C15 or early C16,
north aisle 1835 and chancel and north vestry 1886. Ashlar, banded ashlar and
flint, snecked rubble and render. Tiled roofs with stone copings. Plan: nave,
chancel, north aisle and vestry, south tower incorporating porch. C16 buttresses
to south nave wall and C12 buttress to west nave wall. South tower: embattled
with corner obelisks; of 2 stages separated by weathered strings; diagonal
buttresses to the first stage; 4-centred, moulded south doorway with studded
plank door; 2 light be fry windows with central mullions bisecting a 4-centred
head. The nave retains 2 medieval windows with pointed heads but these have
been altered and the tracery removed. Chancel windows are C19, of 2 and 3
lights, with idiosyncratic curvilinear tracery and returned labels. The north
aisle windows are pointed and untraceried.

Inside the west and south nave walls have a pronounced offset probably marking
the wall plate level of the original church. C19 pointed, moulded chancel arch
with the inner order springing from corbels. Nave and aisle have plastered
barrel roofs. Chancel has a C19 2 bay arch-braced collar roof with the
principals springing from corbels. Aisle has 2 iron columns with moulded
capitals rather than an arcade. West wall has 2 black letter inscriptions
dated 1733. Late medieval 12-sided font with sides continuing as chamfers on
the stem and dying into a hollow-chamfered square base. Another font in porch
has gadrooned bowl and stem, moulded base and gadrooned stone cover and is
probably late C17 or early C18. Early C18 polygonal pulpit with 2 heights of
fielded panelling and gadrooned cornice and base. C20 glass. Various C17,
C18 and C19 monuments. Other fittings largely C19. (RCHM, Dorset, vol.IV,
p.17/18, no.1. Newman, J. and Pevsner, N. The Buildings of England: Dorset,
1972, p.202/3.)


Listing NGR: ST9578315050

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.