This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5465 / 52°32'47"N
Longitude: 0.8183 / 0°49'5"E
OS Eastings: 591192
OS Northings: 298023
OS Grid: TL911980
Mapcode National: GBR RBS.9PM
Mapcode Global: VHKBV.48F6
Entry Name: Church of St. Peter
Listing Date: 16 July 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1172419
English Heritage Legacy ID: 220075
Location: Merton, Breckland, Norfolk, IP25
Civil Parish: Merton
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Merton St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TL 99 NW
4/38 Church of St. Peter
Parish church. C12 and C14. Flint, partly rendered with lead nave and pantiled
chancel roofs. West tower, nave, south aisle and chancel. Plain C12 round
tower with 2-light bell openings on central scalloped shafts. One 2-light
window to lower- stage west, and lancet to north and south ringing chamber.
Gabled north porch 1854 with hood mould on head stops. 2 buttresses to nave
with 2 2-light windows above string course. Y tracery with cusped lights
supporting cusped foil. Gabled roof with low parapet. 2 3-light plate
traceried chancel windows in intersecting frame with daggers and pointed
trefoils. Engaged columns with capitals and bases below hood mould on leaf
stops: String course below windows. 2 buttresses at east with 4-light cusped
intersecting window with sexfoiled circle of 1855. South chancel wall as north.
South aisle buttressed. East window of 3 lights intersecting and cusped with
sexfoiled circle over pointed quatrefoils c.1340. Hood mould on head stops.
2 2-light south windows with cusped lights supporting quatrefoil. Gabled south
porch by E.B. Lamb 1856. 3 2-light square-headed clerestory windows with cusped
ogee lights. Interior has south arcade of 4 bays with octagonal piers and
moulded bases and capitals under double waved arches. Low tower arch with
splayed lancet. Chancel arch wave moulded on octagonal responds with
Perpendicular bases. Rood stairs survive. Nave roof of wall posts on corbels
becoming arched braces to principals. Moulded butt purlins and ridge piece.
Boxed in ashlaring. Some C19 timbers. South aisle roof similar. Chancel
roof false hammerbeam of 5 bays. Single butt purlin. Heavy wall plate and
boxed ashlaring. Very fine mid C14 screen. Cusped and sub-cusped central
ogee opening with tracery roundels in spandrels. 2-light panels between stiles
left and right with tracery freize. Single bays to chancel arch. Panelled
lower half and battlemented top rail. Early C17 double decker pulpit, panelled
with carving. Early C17 box pew in aisle. Late C17 balustraded irontwist
altar rail. Stepped sedilia c.1300 with moulded arches on columns with capitals
and bases. Double piscina, under arched head repeating chancel window design.
C15 hexagonal font on tall base, with contemporary cover restored extensively
Listing NGR: TL9119298023
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings