History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Two Tovey and Seven Unidentified Monuments, About 3 to 10 Metres South of End South East Aisle Buttress in Churchyard of Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Fairford, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7089 / 51°42'32"N

Longitude: -1.7818 / 1°46'54"W

OS Eastings: 415171

OS Northings: 201154

OS Grid: SP151011

Mapcode National: GBR 4SJ.SCT

Mapcode Global: VHB2V.29CS

Entry Name: Two Tovey and Seven Unidentified Monuments, About 3 to 10 Metres South of End South East Aisle Buttress in Churchyard of Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 17 June 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1172421

English Heritage Legacy ID: 129713

Location: Fairford, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Fairford

Built-Up Area: Fairford

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: South Cotswold Team Ministry

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Quenington

Listing Text

SP 1401-1501 FAIRFORD HIGH STREET
(west side)

13/157 Two Tovey and seven unidentified
monuments, about 3-10m south of end
south east aisle buttress in
churchyard of Church of St. Mary

GV II

Three chest tombs: Richard Tovey 1820, Richard Tovey 1770 and
Henry 1804, and Unidentified to west, probably early C18; and 6
headstones to west, all unidentified, probably mid/late C18.
Limestone. Tovey monuments both stepped tent top with curved top
section and roll moulding, moulded plinth and capping on base. To
north (1820) - plain incised ends and sides, panelled frieze and
pilaster side strips. To south (1770) - plain frieze, recessed
ends, slightly fielded sides with flanking reeded strips. Both
breaking up on north side on top. Plain unidentified chest with
flat top, slab sides and ends on chamfered plinth. All headstones
have high relief cartouche with cherub's head, 2 wth twin cherubs.
Two have additional stone to rear, apparently footstones.

Listing NGR: SP1517101154

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.