This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9524 / 52°57'8"N
Longitude: 1.0433 / 1°2'35"E
OS Eastings: 604535
OS Northings: 343777
OS Grid: TG045437
Mapcode National: GBR T8Q.SPC
Mapcode Global: WHLQV.012Z
Entry Name: Starr House
Listing Date: 2 April 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1172486
English Heritage Legacy ID: 224579
Location: Cley Next the Sea, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR25
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Cley Next The Sea
Built-Up Area: Cley next the Sea
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Cley St Margaret St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 0443 CLEY NEXT THE SEA HIGH STREET
9/28 Starr House, (formerly
listed as Commerce House)
House at right angles to street with attached shop; shop c.1800, house c.1700.
Shop facade to street: gault brick with parapet hiding pantiles, gable
parapets; 3 bays, 2 storeys, end internal stacks; raised platform with stone
pavement reached by 3 stone steps at centre, ground floor facade punctuated
by square fluted pilasters having fluted console brackets supporting
entablature; central recessed double leaved door upper part glazed, glazing
bars, retangular light with glazing bars above; two wide bay windows
with glazing bars having curved panes to sides; 3 sash windows with glazing
bars to first floor having skewback arches. Main lean-to to right under
pantiles having shaped parapet to street, coursed flint with some bricks;
C19 shop window of 3 large panes flanked by pilasters supporting entablature;
2 recessed panels in brick below; quoins of C18 brick. Additional lower
lean-to to right (now Cley Smoke House) with shaped parapet to street,
uncoursed flint; shop door and window to ground floor, louvred opening to
loft above. Left hand gable of flint courses alternating with regular flint
and brick courses. Right hand gable above lean-to of pebble flint. Interior:
many shop fittings of c.1800, oak and pine counter with twisted baluster at
angle, ranks of small oak drawers, segmental headed recesses above around
upper walls separated by turned columns with reeded pilasters. Roof timbers
of first lean-to incorporate reused ships spars, timber framing.
Attached rear range: colourwashed brick, pantiles. 2-cell lobby entrance
plan, 5 bays, 2 storeys and attic. Moulded platband, moulded cornice; central
axial stack, flush sashes with glazing bars to ground and first floor bays
2 and 4; blocked openings to bays 1 and 5. Central recessed 6 panelled door,
rectangular light above, panelled reveals; gabled roof dormer to bay 4.
Left hand gable rebuilt, 2 attached C20 extensions of no special interest.
Rear of coursed flint with brick dressings and dentil cornice. Inserted
french window and first floor window, 2 raking dormers, one of 1980 with
glazing bars. Interior: staircase behind large central stack. First floor
left room with duck's nest grate having Prince of Wales feathers and "Ich
Dien". Butt purlin roof with collars. 2 flight open string staircase in
extension to rear of right cell, upper flight curved with wreathed mahogany
handrail supported by turned newel, square sectioned balusters; octagonal
lantern above (sometimes known as Miss Starr's Shop).
Listing NGR: TG0453543777
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings