This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0508 / 52°3'2"N
Longitude: -1.7799 / 1°46'47"W
OS Eastings: 415187
OS Northings: 239180
OS Grid: SP151391
Mapcode National: GBR 4NG.DT7
Mapcode Global: VHB13.3QC6
Entry Name: The Old Grammar School
Listing Date: 25 August 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1172544
English Heritage Legacy ID: 126204
Location: Chipping Campden, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL55
Civil Parish: Chipping Campden
Built-Up Area: Chipping Campden
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Chipping Campden St James
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
5224 HIGH STREET
The Old Grammer School
SP 1539 SW 9/148 25.8.60
C15 foundation. Rebuilt 1863 by C A Buckler in Cotswold style of mid C17. Two and
a half storeys, ashlar with Cotswold stone tile roof and 4 chimneys, 3 on ridge,
one as gable finial. In 2 parts. Six bays, 5 of them with gables, the principal
one off centre left larger with coat of arms and 2 storey angled bay of 1-3-1 lights.
The entrance bay to left of this has a small gabled bell cote over it. String as
first floor label mould. Three light mullioned windows to first floor and to half-
dormers over, 4 light mullion and transom windows to ground floor, ground and attic
windows have drip moulds. Four centred entrance with small window to left under
common drip mould; the attic window above is below the eaves, 2 light and very small.
Pointed arch doorway to left of right hand section with inscribed voussoirs
Interior: school room survives (in restored state) as rebuilt in 1628: large chimney
Piece with C17 stone bust of founder John Fereby above, set in classical niche in a
broken segmental pediment. Part of south-west end rear wall is the original 3 storey
building of early C17.
Listing NGR: SP1520239193
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings