This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6513 / 52°39'4"N
Longitude: 1.037 / 1°2'13"E
OS Eastings: 605529
OS Northings: 310283
OS Grid: TG055102
Mapcode National: GBR TDC.QZN
Mapcode Global: WHLS5.WMZ9
Entry Name: Mattishall Hall
Listing Date: 21 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1172550
English Heritage Legacy ID: 220866
Location: Mattishall, Breckland, Norfolk, NR20
Civil Parish: Mattishall
Built-Up Area: Mattishall
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Mattishall All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
MATTISHALL SOUTH GREEN
13/74 Mattishall Hall
House. Late C16 or early C17 refurbished in the early C18 and early C19.
Brick with black and red pantile roofs. Complex plan consisting
principally of main block being connected to early C19 rear block by a
C17 double pile. 2 storeys with attics. Symmetrical facade of c.1700.
6 bays with 3 surviving 2-light mullion and transom windows with metal
casements and original spring latches. Panelled front door opposite
stack with an C18 eared architrave. 2 remaining ground floor windows
late C18 in Gothick'sytle, of 2 lights with glazing bars and ogee arched
heads to the casements. C20 first floor windows in close imitation of
the latter. All windows beneath skewback arches with raised keystones,
all original except for the 2 above the Gothick windows. (The raised
keystones may be stucco additions). Moulded brick platband and a simple
dentil cornice. Hipped roof with a pair of 2-light pedimented dormers.
Off-centre axial stack. North facade of main block of 4 bays with 6
blocked windows, one surviving early sash window with wide glazing bars
and a doorway below with doorcase consisting of a pair of engaged
Corinthian columns supporting an entablature with a pulvinated frieze.
Moulded brick platband continued from principal facade. Early C19
addition of 2 bays to north facade, slightly advanced. 4 blind windows
painted as sashes with glazing bars. Recessed beneath skewback arches
with raised keystones. Early C19 west facade of 5 bays of sash windows
with glazing bars beneath skewback arches with raised keystones.
(Southernmost bay is an addition). Plain platband and 2 southernmost
windows rise from ground level. Off-centre axial stack and plain dentil
cornice. Interior. One room of circa 1700 with raised and fielded
panelling and a bolection moulded fireplace of Frosterley marble. Butt-
purlin roofs and some C17 doors with their ironmongery in the attics.
Early C18 staircase of unknown provenance installed during C20.
Listing NGR: TG0552910283
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings