This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7719 / 52°46'18"N
Longitude: 1.5166 / 1°30'59"E
OS Eastings: 637308
OS Northings: 325165
OS Grid: TG373251
Mapcode National: GBR XHN.67S
Mapcode Global: WHMSZ.8LGC
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 16 April 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1172564
English Heritage Legacy ID: 223697
Location: Stalham, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR12
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Stalham
Built-Up Area: Stalham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Stalham and East Ruston with Brunstead
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 32 NE STALHAM HIGH STREET
2/59 Church of St. Mary
16.4.55 the Virgin
Parish church. C14 nave and aisles, Perpendicular west tower unfinished at
dissolution (numerous bequests date from 1481 to 1533). Chancel rebuilt 1827.
Many C19 restorations : 1854 nave and aisles restored; 1864 font restored;
1872 south porch rebuilt and new floors inserted, aisle windows restored;
1886 chancel roof renewed and raised, nave roof restored, vestry erected.
Flint with ashlar dressings and slate roofs, the aisles leaded. Squat 2
storey tower with angle buttresses. 3-light Perpendicular west window below
older fragment of arch. Louvred belfry openings to north and south
(originally intended as ringing chamber stage). Brick parapet. Angle
buttresses to nave aisles, stepped to flanks. Gabled south porch with diagonal
buttresses, the south face of knapped flint. 2-light Perpendicular side
windows. Double wave moulded entrance arch below wall sundial dated 1801.
4 C19 3-light Perpendicular south aisle windows and 4 2-light north aisle
windows with Y tracery. Arched north door. Clerestory of 4 circular windows
with cusping. To south side each window separated by flushwork tracery.
Chancel with angle buttresses to east, paired stepped buttresses to sides.
2 3-light reticulated south windows and similar east window. Interior. 5
bay octagonal arcade on moulded bases. Moulded polygonal capitals support
double chamfered arches. Tall chamfered tower arch with polygonal responds,
capitals and bases. To east side are keeled rolls. Double wave moulded
chancel arch on polygonal responds, with capitals and bases. Scissor braced
C19 nave roof. Rafter aisle roofs also C19. Deep splays to clerestory
windows. Fine late C15 octagonal font on 3 steps, the upper 2 traceried.
Foot of font stem with foliage trail. Against stem figures of prophets and
saints on pedestals under ribbed canopies. Bowl panels depict Baptism of
Christ (to west) and Holy Trinity (to east). Remainder of bowl panels with
12 apostles. To east of south door remains of elaborate Holy water stoup
: bowl on engaged column over which is arch within square surround. Chapel
of St. John the Baptist in south east corner. Bench sedilia, angle piscina
with cinquefoil cusping and aumbry. Remains of rood stair in north chancel
arch pier. C19 chancel roof. Against south-east chancel corner altar tomb
to Katherine Catfield 1718. 2 bay tomb chest with splayed columns and
pilasters, each bay carved with high relief cherub. Inscription panel against
wall flanked by Corinthian pilasters below segmental pediment and achievement.
Listing NGR: TG3730825165
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings