This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7077 / 51°42'27"N
Longitude: -1.7816 / 1°46'53"W
OS Eastings: 415188
OS Northings: 201016
OS Grid: SP151010
Mapcode National: GBR 4SJ.SGV
Mapcode Global: VHB2V.2BHQ
Entry Name: The Chanting House
Listing Date: 4 June 1952
Last Amended: 17 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1172590
English Heritage Legacy ID: 129752
Location: Fairford, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7
Civil Parish: Fairford
Built-Up Area: Fairford
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: South Cotswold Team Ministry
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 16/03/2016
MARKET PLACE (west side)
The Chanting House
(Formerly listed as Mike Gannon Bookmaker, previously listed as the George Hotel)
Former inn. South end range probably of late C15/early C16, remainder of late C17/early C18, recorded as an inn 1634. Ashlar front on rubble rear, with half timbered cross range to south, stone slate roof, stone ridge stack, and external stone stack to timber framed section. Single front range with cross range to south and adjoining single storey range, and rear range with stables curving out around, up towards north west. Two storeys. Close studding to timber framing, with stone infill, on south side and gable of east side, large moulded bressumer and 2 small 12-pane sashes. Stone infill below with Yorkshire sliding sash with timber lintel and vertical battened door. C19 two and 3-light stone mullions to east. Facade to Market Place with 6 windows, 5 original 12-pane sashes and 2-storey canted bay to far right with 8/12/8-pane sashes. Ground floor has C20 canted bay to left, chamfered basket arch stone doorway with C20 glazed door and sidelights, and three 12-pane sashes. Stables to rear have 3 ground floor plank door openings on outer curved edge to south and one recessed loft door with cat hole. Large cart entrance on inner face of curve. Remainder of rear with scattered fenestration, mostly casements.
Listing NGR: SP1518801016
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings