History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Coln House School

A Grade II Listed Building in Fairford, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7068 / 51°42'24"N

Longitude: -1.787 / 1°47'13"W

OS Eastings: 414817

OS Northings: 200912

OS Grid: SP148009

Mapcode National: GBR 4SH.YVS

Mapcode Global: VHB2T.ZC5F

Entry Name: Coln House School

Listing Date: 17 June 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1172655

English Heritage Legacy ID: 129765

Location: Fairford, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Fairford

Built-Up Area: Fairford

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: South Cotswold Team Ministry

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Fairford

Listing Text

SP 1400-1500 FAIRFORD MILTON STREET
(south side)

14/208 Coln House School

GV II

Founded as The Retreat, a private asylum, in 1822 by Alexander
Iles, extended 1829, became school for ESN children in 1949.
Coursed and dressed stone on chamfered plinth with alternating
flush quoins, moulded cornice and blocking course. Low-pitched
hipped slate roofs, with scattered stone stacks, including some
raised in brick. Large corner building composed of three blocks,
mostly 3 storeys. Front to Milton Street has 2 windows to each
block, 6-pane sashes on second floor, 12-pane on first and ground
floors, with continuous first floor sill band on two outer blocks,
all in flush stone surrounds. Central block windows are lower on
each floor than side blocks. Ground floor has large stone doorcase
in right hand block, with attached Ionic columns on bases, with
entablature and pediment, and channelled rustication to door
surround. Door of 6 moulded recessed panels with sidelights, up 2
moulded stone steps. Curved corner to right hand block with
cornice continued round to rear. Similar fenestration to rear with
some C20 alterations.
(VCH, Gloucestershire, Vol.VII, 1981)

Listing NGR: SP1481700912

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.