This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.8353 / 53°50'7"N
Longitude: -1.0658 / 1°3'56"W
OS Eastings: 461576
OS Northings: 438077
OS Grid: SE615380
Mapcode National: GBR PS02.1W
Mapcode Global: WHFCP.LVPN
Entry Name: The Manor House
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Last Amended: 10 April 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1172683
English Heritage Legacy ID: 326314
Location: Riccall, Selby, North Yorkshire, YO19
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Riccall
Built-Up Area: Riccall
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Riccall St Mary
Church of England Diocese: York
RICCALL KELFIELD ROAD
SE 63 NW
6/58 The Manor House
(formerly listed as The
25.10.51 Vicarage or Old Prebendal
GV II *
Vicarage now house. 1896 inscribed above rear door incorporating tower and
turret of c1480, with later alterations. Pinkish-orange narrow brick tower
and turret with red brick house with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roof.
T-shaped on plan. 2 storeys, 4 bays of which the fourth bay is occupied by
3-storey square tower and 5-stage turret with square base tapering to
octagonal top. Gothic tower: massive angle buttress to left. Angle
buttress with off-sets to three-quarter height to right. Off--centre
entrance a late C20 glazed door with overlight. To right a C20 casement
window, the whole beneath beam and C20 hood. First floor: lancet window and
pair of lancets. Second floor: pair of lancet windows. A single lancet to
first-floor and pair of lancets to second floor, then projecting stack. To
rear of tower is stair turret: slit windows to each stage. Upper stage
projects slightly with Lombard frieze. Lancet windows to alternate sides.
Spirelet. Otherwise house has mainly pairs of unequally-hung 3-pane sashes
with ashlar sills and with pointed lintels to ground floor. Two upper
windows break cogged eaves band. Group of 4 cylindrical ridge stacks.
Interior: dogleg staircase has turned balusters and Gothic newel posts.
Doors have decorative panelling. Some Gothic fireplaces. Stained glass to
ground floor tower window dated 1696. Stair to turret has a brick newel and
triplets of brick arches fanning out under each step. Pevsner N, Yorkshire,
York and The East Riding, 1978, p 329.
Listing NGR: SE6157638077
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings