History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Strodes Almshouses and Adjoining Wall to Church Lane

A Grade II Listed Building in Shepton Mallet, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1906 / 51°11'26"N

Longitude: -2.5452 / 2°32'42"W

OS Eastings: 361993

OS Northings: 143624

OS Grid: ST619436

Mapcode National: GBR MS.5BZ0

Mapcode Global: VH8B0.TBSN

Entry Name: Strodes Almshouses and Adjoining Wall to Church Lane

Listing Date: 20 May 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1172701

English Heritage Legacy ID: 266467

Location: Shepton Mallet, Mendip, Somerset, BA4

County: Somerset

District: Mendip

Civil Parish: Shepton Mallet

Built-Up Area: Shepton Mallet

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Shepton Mallet

Listing Text

ST6143 SHEPTON MALLET CP CHURCH LANE (South side)
ST6243

6/69 Nos 8, 9, 10 & 11, Strodes
7/69 Almshouses and adjoining wall to
Church Lane

20.5.52

GV II

Almshouses. 1699 for Edward Strode, restored c1862. Doulting rubble, squared quoins, freestone detail, 4-brick stacks
with diagonally-set shafts, slate roof, coped verges. 2-storeys, single bay each, ovolo moulded mullioned windows of
2-lights. Doorway to each house having 4-centred head, roll moulded surround, mid C19 ribbed and studded door.
Continuous stringcourse across length of facade below first floor windows. Carved stone heraldic achievement in centre
of frontage with shield bearing arms of Edward Strode. Freestone tablet below shield with raised letters:- "Built by
Edward Strode of Downside Esquire, for the honour of God and to doe good. Anno Domini, 1699". The almshouses group is
entered by a 4-centred arch doorway in wall at right angles to rear of left return. Tablets referring to Strode and his
charity may be found in adjacent Parish Church (qv).


Listing NGR: ST6199643622

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.