This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4129 / 52°24'46"N
Longitude: -2.2527 / 2°15'9"W
OS Eastings: 382905
OS Northings: 279462
OS Grid: SO829794
Mapcode National: GBR 1CD.M9G
Mapcode Global: VH91M.WMX4
Entry Name: Oak House, the Court House and the Old School House
Listing Date: 25 February 1958
Last Amended: 18 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1172811
English Heritage Legacy ID: 157148
Location: Wolverley and Cookley, Wyre Forest, Worcestershire, DY11
District: Wyre Forest
Civil Parish: Wolverley and Cookley
Built-Up Area: Fairfield
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Kidderminster Ismere
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
WOLVERLEY & COOKLEY CP WOLVERLEY
SO 87 NW
6/156 Oak House, The Court House
and The Old School House
25.2.58 (formerly listed as Old
Seabright School and houses
adjoining on north and south)
Former school, now two houses and council chamber. 1829, probably by William
Knight, with some late C20 alterations. Sandstone ashlar, brick and painted
brick with tile roof. Central block: two storeys with full-height Gothick
portico; this has an arcade of three 2-centred heads divided by stepped
buttresses with octagonal corner turrets with crenellated caps; parapet between
is plain with raised centre bearing a shield over the date 1620 (foundation date).
Behind arcade there is a platform at first floor level approached by flights of
steps from each side; entrance to ground floor is centrally placed under a wide
Tudor arch. Wall behind on first floor has two windows of three cinquefoiled
lights flanking a central entrance with 2-centred head under clock.
Oak House (to left): of painted brick, two storeys with stone coped parapet and
moulded cornice. Three windows: two 3-lights under square heads with square labels
flank a central quatrefoil window. Ground floor: central entrance has a flat
canopy with cast iron decoration, 3-pane overlight and 6-panelled door.
The Old School House (to right); unpainted brick, same design as house to left.
(BoE, p 291-292; Colvin, H; A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects
1600 - 1840, 1978, p 497).
Listing NGR: SO8290579462
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings