History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Church of St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in West Tytherley, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0664 / 51°3'58"N

Longitude: -1.6102 / 1°36'36"W

OS Eastings: 427410

OS Northings: 129742

OS Grid: SU274297

Mapcode National: GBR 630.1QB

Mapcode Global: FRA 76J9.DHZ

Entry Name: The Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 11 April 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1172943

English Heritage Legacy ID: 141015

Location: West Tytherley, Test Valley, Hampshire, SP5

County: Hampshire

District: Test Valley

Civil Parish: West Tytherley

Built-Up Area: West Tytherley

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: West Tytherley

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Middle Winterslow

Listing Text


WEST TYTHERLEY THE COACH ROAD
SU 22 NE
3/9 The Church of St. Peter

GV II

Parish church. 1833 nave, tower and porch by G Guthrie, chancel 1877 and possibly
nave refenestrated. Earlier part header bond purple and blue brick, coursed
knapped flint, stone dressings and slate roof; chancel grey limestone, Bath stone
dressings, brick plinth, tile roof. Plan of nave with S porch, W tower and added
chancel. Chancel Decorated style with 3-light cinquefoiled, with 2 quatrefoils and
a trefoil in head, E window. Diagonal buttresses on corners. On sides 2 trefoiled
lancets and central buttress. Nave has plinth and giant corner pilasters. Each
side of centre square-headed 3-light cinquefoiled window with label to N and S.
To N in centre plank panel with label. To S porch with brick corner pilasters,
cornice and crennelations. Walls of flint with pointed brick arches, blind on
sides, open to S with iron gates. Inside reset slabs: 1688 to Anna Whithed,
1657 to Mary Whithed. To W tower with corner brick pilasters, those to E cut by
nave on lower stages. Walls of flint with to W door in pointed brick arch, to
S squareheaded 2-light cinquefoiled window. In middle stage to W pointed 2-light
cinquefoiled window. String to top stage and on all faces pointed bell opening.
Stone cornice and brick crennelations. Inside chancel all late C19. 2 order
Early English style chancel arch on foliated corbels. Timber screen. Nave has
monuments to S: 1833 to Barth. Bouverie, 1815 to Charles Wall. On N wall, from
old church, monuments: 1725 to Ann Smyth, 4 early C19 to Thistlethwayte family.
At W end gallery of timber on cast iron columns, bowed forward in centre, with
Royal coat of arms in centre. Under benefactors boards of 1725, and 1833 to
commemorate rebuilding. To N in centre opposite door is Norman font from old
church of square bowl on large central column with smaller corner shafts.
Interior of 1833 has box pews towards E and open pews to W.


Listing NGR: SP2578727277

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.