This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7015 / 51°42'5"N
Longitude: -0.5011 / 0°30'4"W
OS Eastings: 503676
OS Northings: 201374
OS Grid: TL036013
Mapcode National: GBR G7C.63R
Mapcode Global: VHFSC.8HFG
Entry Name: Baldersley Cottage
Listing Date: 2 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1173027
English Heritage Legacy ID: 157602
Location: Chipperfield, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, WD4
Civil Parish: Chipperfield
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Chipperfield
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
CHIPPERFIELD DUNNY LANE
TL 00 SW (South side)
2 houses, purchased as almshouses 1828 and sold 1888, now one house.
Late C17 or early C18, brick infill of front inscribed 'AD 1791' with
many sets of initials. Timber frame with red brick panels and old red
tile roof. A long 2-storeys house facing N set well back from road in an
excavated hollow in the hillside, possibly a gravel pit. Exposed framing
of front has saltire pattern of bracing in centre. 4 windows long with
large internal chimney in middle, large external E gable chimney and
smaller W gable external chimney. Parallel rear extension. 2-light flush
casement windows with rectangular leaded glazing. Lean-to tiled porch.
Well at W end of house. Interior has unjowled posts, thin scantlings,
squared joists and chamfered beams without stops. In 1828 Henry Day gave
£20 to purchase the 2 copyhold tenements and gardens at Chipperfield
Dell for use as almshouses.
Listing NGR: TL0367601374
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings