This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7045 / 51°42'16"N
Longitude: -0.4918 / 0°29'30"W
OS Eastings: 504318
OS Northings: 201715
OS Grid: TL043017
Mapcode National: GBR G7C.2HV
Mapcode Global: VHFSC.FFD5
Entry Name: The Pale Farm and Barn Adjoining on East
Listing Date: 22 October 1952
Last Amended: 2 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1173068
English Heritage Legacy ID: 157608
Location: Chipperfield, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, WD4
Civil Parish: Chipperfield
Built-Up Area: Chipperfield (Dacorum)
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Chipperfield
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
CHIPPERFIELD THE STREET
TL 0401 (East side)
12/81 The Pale Farm and Barn adjoining
22.10.52 on east (formerly listed as
Farmhouse, now a private house and adjoining barn. C15 W crosswing, main
range c.1500 (reputedly built by John Carter), barn adjoining on E C16,
C18 brick casing and inserted floor to crosswing, c.1940 brick W road
frontage of crosswing rebuilt after collapse, c.1950 house extended into
2 bays of barn to E, polygonal glazed conservatory added to S c.1980.
Timber frames, exposed in main range with plastered infill panels, cased
in red brick chequered with blue headers on S and W sides of W crosswing,
brick nogged on its N and E sides, dark weatherboarded on barn to E.
Steep old red tile roofs. A long L-shaped 2-storeys house facing S with
W crosswing flanking the road, and lower barn extending to E. Finely
carpentered showfront on S with upper floor jettied in 3 bays with
brackets to protruding floor beams and wide panels with ogee tension
bracing to bay posts. Close studding to ground floor, similar pattern
on vertical rear wall. At W end through-passage with opposed doors, C17
chimney backing onto passage in same bay possibly replacing an earlier
timber framed chimney,and one four centred arched doorway. One casement
window to each bay on each floor. 2 storeys 3-bays W service wing
formerly open to roof in 2 N bays. Brick cased with 3 windows to each
floor on W front facing road. 1½ storeys E extension into barn with a
hipped dormer,weatherboarded and tiled as the barn extending to E.
Linked on S to this extension a polygonal glazed conservatory,free
standing in garden.Central room of main range the hall, with an axial
chamfered beam,hollow stops,ovolo moulded fireplace lintel and step up
to parlour in E bay. Clasped-purlin roof with queen-posts and straight
wind-braces. 3-bays W crosswing has a stair rising from cross passage
in SE corner and large internal N gable chimney. Inserted floor and
upper fireplace. Clasped-purlin roof with tie-beams, collars and
curved wind braces. Cutting of tie-beam between 2 northern bays was
cause of spreading, and partial collapse of brickwork, on W side. Barn
range has 4 bays clasped-purlin roof (3 now the barn) with massive
timbers, jowled posts, straight braces to tie-beams and wallplate,
heavy angled queen-posts supporting purlin and heavy notched but not
diminished principals, quadrant convex curved wind braces, and squint-
butted scarf joint in wallplate. Wide bays with low walls and storey-
height studs. Partitioned W bay now part of house and brick nogged.
Unusually heavy flat rafters. The Pale was the boundary to the royal
hunting park at Kings Langley. (RCHM(1911)135 no.5: Pevsner(1977)128).
Listing NGR: TL0431801715
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings