This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0586 / 51°3'31"N
Longitude: -1.3147 / 1°18'52"W
OS Eastings: 448126
OS Northings: 129033
OS Grid: SU481290
Mapcode National: GBR 861.JG3
Mapcode Global: FRA 864B.1NC
Entry Name: 5, Kingsgate Street
Listing Date: 24 March 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1173128
English Heritage Legacy ID: 144691
Location: Winchester, Hampshire, SO23
Electoral Ward/Division: St Michael
Built-Up Area: Winchester
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Winchester St Lawrence with St Swithun-upon-Kingsgate
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
869/6/162 KINGSGATE STREET
24-MAR-1950 (East side)
House. Circa early C18; altered circa early C19. Flemish bond red brick with vitrefied headers and gauged red brick details. Low painted stone parapet [probably later] over brick modillion cornice; wooden gutter at eaves at rear. Clay plain tile roof. Brick gable-end stacks.
PLAN: Double-depth; two front rooms, smaller right-hand room incorporated into back room; central entrance passage leading to open-well staircase behind larger left room; C20 rear wing.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys. 5-bay west front, right-hand bay blind. Raised gauged red brick eared architraves, first floor integral with deep brick platband above; 12-pane sashes on first floor and smaller 6-pane second floor sashes, all in moulded cases, second bay from left on second floor is blind. Ground floor altered circa early C19 with wooden fascia with cornice above, tripartite sash with glazing bars on left and 16-pane sash on right with integral shutters; doorway to right of centre with reeded pilasters, intricate traceried overlight and fielded and flush 6-panel door. Rear: 12-pane sashes on left in moulded cases and C20 brick wing on right.
INTERIOR largely complete with early C18 and some early C19 joinery. Ground floor left [north] room has fielded panelling with dado rail and moulded cornice, bolection chimneypiece with Delft tiles and arched overdoor with birds in the spandrels. Ground floor right-hand room has early C19 reeded chimneypiece. Pilastered arch with keyblock at rear of entrance passage to stairwell with open-well staircase, rising the full height of house, with moulded string, heavy moulded handrail, thick turned balusters and square newels with ball finials and pendants; staircase strengthened circa early C19 by insertion of turned wooden columns over the newels to the newels above. Two first floor front rooms have fielded panelling with dado rails and moulded cornices, the right with bolection chimneypiece and iron grate, the left with early C19 reeded chimneypiece. Panelled window shutters and fielded panel doors. Second floor rooms have simple chimneypieces, iron grates and 2-panel doors.
An unusually intact early C18 town house with a largely complete interior.
Listing NGR: SU4812729033
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings