History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mermaid Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Yeovil, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9415 / 50°56'29"N

Longitude: -2.6335 / 2°38'0"W

OS Eastings: 355589

OS Northings: 115974

OS Grid: ST555159

Mapcode National: GBR MP.NSR4

Mapcode Global: FRA 56CM.9VX

Entry Name: Mermaid Hotel

Listing Date: 19 March 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1173175

English Heritage Legacy ID: 261377

Location: Yeovil, South Somerset, Somerset, BA20

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Yeovil

Built-Up Area: Yeovil

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Yeovil

Listing Text

ST5516NE YEOVIL CP HIGH STREET (North side)
ST5515NE

5/40 Nos 2 & 2A
8/40 (Mermaid Hotel)

l9.3.51

GV II

Inn, with shop; both known to have existed by 1770. Has stone ashlar with stone
slated roof between coped gables with brick chimney stacks (renewals) at each
end. Apparently built at the same time as Nos 1A & 1B, (qv). Wide opening on
left-hand side with bolection moulded round trefoil arch with moulded imposts
and return of moulding down jambs as Quasi-columns onto a simple plinth. The old
gate survives. To the right a C20 shopfront. Above the arch a triple window with
plain surround and impost blocks - the centre 9-pane sash has a round trefoil
arched head with non-radial toplight and the side 6-pane sashes have depressed
ogee arches: to the right two 8-pane sashes in simple architraves; above a
cornice with hidden gutters behind. Inside the archway a porch with traces of
brick nogging to a timber stud partition. The interior much altered at both
floor levels, but some original doors and panelling remain, and the cellars not
greatly changed. There are early C20 extensions to the rear yard, which has a
separate entrance to Princes Street. Note the plates proclaiming "Member of the
Licensed Victuallers Defence League of England and Wales" on both entrance
gates. (Mortgage deed of 1770 in frame just inside main entrance).


Listing NGR: ST5558815978

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.