History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Delrow Almshouses

A Grade II Listed Building in Aldenham, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.668 / 51°40'4"N

Longitude: -0.3468 / 0°20'48"W

OS Eastings: 514424

OS Northings: 197876

OS Grid: TQ144978

Mapcode National: GBR 5X.F8G

Mapcode Global: VHFSM.YB0M

Entry Name: Delrow Almshouses

Listing Date: 21 January 1980

Last Amended: 12 August 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1173191

English Heritage Legacy ID: 164092

Location: Aldenham, Hertsmere, Hertfordshire, WD25

County: Hertfordshire

District: Hertsmere

Civil Parish: Aldenham

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Aldenham

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Radlett

Listing Text

TQ 19 NW,
6/44

ALDENHAM,
SUMMERHOUSE LANE (Northwest side),
Aldenham,
Delrow Almshouses, Nos. 1-6,


(Formerly listed as Platt Almshouses)

21.01.80

II

Six almshouses. 1864-5 for the Brewer's Company. Red brick with white
brick dressings. Tiled roof. 1-storey symmetrical terrace. Paired
entrances under gables. 4-centred arched heads to plank doors, chamfered
white brick surrounds. Tiled pentice canopies. Stone-coped gables with
kneelers, that to centre with Arms of Platt. Six windows: cross casements,
white brick chamfered flat arched heads. Plinth, white brick
oversailing course at eaves. Blue tiled horizontal strip in roof. Two
ridge stacks with four octagonal shafts each, end stacks with two such
shafts. Stone coped gable end parapets with kneelers. Arms in plaques on
gable ends. Small rear extensions. Interior not inspected. Almshouses
replace late C16 buildings from 1528 foundation of R. Platt, who also
founded Aldenham School (q.v.). Listed largely for the historical
interest of the building and its foundation.


Listing NGR: TQ1442497876

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.