This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1885 / 54°11'18"N
Longitude: -1.505 / 1°30'17"W
OS Eastings: 432401
OS Northings: 477078
OS Grid: SE324770
Mapcode National: GBR KNX0.Z9
Mapcode Global: WHC7G.VZJF
Entry Name: The Grammar School
Listing Date: 19 November 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1173200
English Heritage Legacy ID: 330461
Location: Wath, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Wath
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SE 37 NW WATH MAIN STREET
2/85 The Grammar School
House. C17 with mid-C18 and C19 alterations. Stone rubble, roughcast,
Westmorland slate roof, pantiles to rear. 2 storeys, 5 bays. Central
entrance with 6-panel door under rectangular 3-pane fanlight in wood
architrave. An inscription over front door, apparently a C20 copy of
the original, records that Peter Samwaies, Rector of Wath, founded a
school for boys in 1684. Door of same type on left. All windows
12-pane sashes in flush wood architraves. Ashlar coping and shaped
kneelers. End chimneys, with massive external stack on right side.
Rear: central 2-light stone mullion window to first floor and a single
storey outshut with Westmorland slate roof. Interior: the roof is
supported by 4 pairs of upper crucks.
Listing NGR: SE3240177078
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings