History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel House

A Grade II Listed Building in Conistone with Kilnsey, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0952 / 54°5'42"N

Longitude: -2.0387 / 2°2'19"W

OS Eastings: 397565

OS Northings: 466588

OS Grid: SD975665

Mapcode National: GBR GP62.FR

Mapcode Global: WHB6N.NBDD

Entry Name: Chapel House

Listing Date: 10 September 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1173280

English Heritage Legacy ID: 324642

Location: Conistone with Kilnsey, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven

Civil Parish: Conistone with Kilnsey

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Conistone

Listing Text

SD 96 NE CONISTONE WITH KILNSEY B6160
(west side,off)
Kilnsey

16/55 Chapel House

10.9.54

- II

Country house, now hotel. 1783 for John Tennant, with Cl7 remains and mid
C20 additions and restoration. Coursed thin limestone blocks, ashlar
dressings, graduated stone slate roof. 2-storey, 3-bay main range 3 bays
deep, with a west wing containing earlier remains, converted to service
rooms. Stressed quoins. Main range: central half-glazed door with radial
glazed fanlight in shouldered architrave with triangular pediment.
Flanking tripartite flat-faced mullion windows to both storeys, the central
lights with glazing bar sashes flanked by 8-pane sashes. A sash with
glazing bars above the door. All with slightly raised surrounds and
projecting sills. Stone gutter brackets, shallow parapet, hipped roof and
2 corniced ridge stacks flanking the entrance. C20 addition to rear, not
of special interest. Left return: central recessed bay with Venetian
stair window to first floor. Right return: three tripartite windows to
each floor, as front. Interior: a central hall flanked by principal
rooms, that to left with a bolection-moulded stone fireplace and a
moulded ceiling cornice. 6-panel doors. A staircase lit by the Venetian
window at the end of the entrance hall has a cantilevered stone stair and
fine column and vase balustrade with moulded handrail. West wing, south
side: of 4 bays, bay 2 projecting and having restored C17 fenestration. 2
doors to bay 3, that to left dated 1768; a large 4-light mullion and
transom window far right, the mullions flat-faced with a reeded surround.
The house is named after the supposed site of a chapel belonging to Kilnsey
Grange, part of the Fountains Abbey estate. The Tennant family came into
posession of the estate in 1572, continuing so until 1900. The Vicar of
Burnsall lived there from 1841-75. Yorkshire Vernacular Building Study
Group, Report No. 956, 1983


Listing NGR: SD9756566588

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.