History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Church of the Holy Trinity

A Grade II Listed Building in Yeovil, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9407 / 50°56'26"N

Longitude: -2.6305 / 2°37'49"W

OS Eastings: 355793

OS Northings: 115883

OS Grid: ST557158

Mapcode National: GBR MP.P1C5

Mapcode Global: FRA 56CM.C0Y

Entry Name: The Church of the Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 17 October 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1173316

English Heritage Legacy ID: 261396

Location: Yeovil, South Somerset, Somerset, BA20

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Yeovil

Built-Up Area: Yeovil

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Yeovil

Listing Text

ST515NE YEOVIL CP PETER STREET (South side)

8/58 The Church of The Holy Trinity

-

GV II

Church, erected in 1846 by Benjamin Ferrey. Ham stone ashlar with Welsh slated
roof. Cruciform plan with 4-bays to nave, with added North and South aisles,
chapels to the East of the transepts and sanctuary set lower than the chancel:
no tower, but a small turret to the West end, all predominantly in a C13 style.
The North elevation divided into bays by flat pilasters, the aisle windows being
double lancets with joined arched labels; the clerestorey windows being
3-lancets per bay, more widely spaced, with blind panels under the joined
labels: the aisle has corbel tabling to a low parapet. The projecting North
Transept has angle buttresses with slight offsets and roofed tops, with a door
set in a gabled and cusped pointed arch, above which is a pair of late C13
pattern traceried windows, and in the gable a small trefoil window. There is a
single lancet window to the sanctuary; there are 4-pinnacled turrets to the four
corners of the nave/chancel roof; the North porch is relatively plain. The South
elevation, now clearly visible from South Street, follows the same pattern: the
end elevations unremarkable save for the wooden bell turret with shingled roof
to the West end; there is a triple lancet to the West end, and a triple lancet
with trefoil window over the East end. Internally the church is lofty, on an
open plan. The arcades are of typical C13 style, and the roof is of a hammerbeam
trussed rafter pattern with arched windbraces above and below the central
pulins. The rear bay of the Nave partitioned off with a late C20 glazed screen.
The 1908 Walker organ is set over the choir vestry in the North transept. There
is a fine wrought iron screen to the sanctuary (seemingly repositioned from the
chancel, which has no separate crossing arch). The pulpit, choir stalls and pews
have been removed, the latter being replaced by 1970's seating. The original
font and wooden cover remain.


Listing NGR: ST5579315883

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.