This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1089 / 54°6'32"N
Longitude: -1.5846 / 1°35'4"W
OS Eastings: 427256
OS Northings: 468194
OS Grid: SE272681
Mapcode National: GBR KNCX.QT
Mapcode Global: WHC7T.MZNF
Entry Name: Abbey Mill
Listing Date: 11 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1173325
English Heritage Legacy ID: 331039
Location: Lindrick with Studley Royal and Fountains, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Lindrick with Studley Royal an
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SE 2768 LINDRICK WITH STUDLEY FOUNTAINS LANE
ROYAL AND FOUNTAINS (east side, off)
9/37 Abbey Mill
Watermill, now stores and workshops. Mid C12, remodelled late C12 and again
early C13; altered post 1539 and C19. Gritstone, stone slate roof. 3
storeys, 5 bays, with lower 2-storey, 2-bay addition to north. East side:
C12 round-arched doorway first floor left, later arched openings to ground
floor. Paired lancet windows first and second floors. 4 stepped
buttresses. Corniced ridge stack to right of bay 2. Rear (west side): 2
upper storeys above ground level. Far right: round chamfered arched
doorway; windows as east side. Attached brick wheelhouse bay 4, C19
machinery intact. Wooden cover and sluice gate bay 2. Left return:
external steps to narrow chamfered round-arched doorway first floor; paired
window to right. 2 square-headed windows ground floor, and one in gable.
Right return: square-headed doorway centre; blocked first-floor entrance.
Interior: C19 and C20 flooring. The mill was fed by a leat from the River
Skell near the west wall of the precinct which widened into a mill pond with
a dam against the west wall of the building. 2 waterwheels were in use,
serving 2 cornmills and later other processes. The north end, possibly
housing waterwheels, was demolished after the dissolution of Fountains Abbey
(qv) in 1539 and was replaced by the lower-roofed block. The mill continued
in use until the early C20. A Scheduled Ancient Monument. R Gilyard-Beer,
Fountains Abbey, 1977, p 75.
Listing NGR: SE2725868197
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings