History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saint Oswald

A Grade II* Listed Building in Oswaldkirk, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2023 / 54°12'8"N

Longitude: -1.0497 / 1°2'59"W

OS Eastings: 462085

OS Northings: 478922

OS Grid: SE620789

Mapcode National: GBR PM3V.JC

Mapcode Global: WHF9Y.VM9T

Entry Name: Church of Saint Oswald

Listing Date: 4 January 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1173343

English Heritage Legacy ID: 329609

Location: Oswaldkirk, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO62

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

Civil Parish: Oswaldkirk

Built-Up Area: Oswaldkirk

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Oswaldkirk St Oswald

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Oswaldkirk

Listing Text

OSWALDKIRK MAIN STREET
SE 67 NW (south side)

6/49 Church of Saint Oswald

4.1.55
GV II*


Church. C12 nave with late C13 insertions and 1886 restoration including
substantial rebuilding of chancel. Limestone, sandstone and millstone grit
rubble and ashlar, Westmorland slate roof. 5½-bay nave with western
bellcote and south porch, and 3-bay chancel with vestry to north. West
front has massive quoins, one of which is probably a Saxon cross shaft re-
used. Single-light trefoil-headed window and bellcote above. Nave: south
door in Victorian porch beneath a rebuilt basket arch incorporates finely-
detailed beaded foliate capitals. 2-light trefoil-headed windows, that to
east being only original one. To north: doorway of 2 chamfered orders, the
outer one supported by shafts with stylised foliate capitals, with narrow
round-headed chamfered window to right and original 2-light trefoil-headed
window matching those to south, on left. Chancel: to south a blocked
square-headed priest's doorway with C14 foliate cross grave slab fragment
built into jamb, flanked by 2 square-headed 2-light C19 windows. To north:
C19 vestry. East end: 3-light C19 window in Decorated style, with 2-light
ogee-headed window to vestry. Interior: C17 pulpit and panelling in
chancel. Fragments of medieval window glass in east bay of nave windows.
Monuments on west wall of nave: Mary Thompson, died 1747, plaque on black
surround surmounted by medallion with child held by putto. Edward Thompson,
died 1742, white marble plaque on black surround surmounted by medallion
with bust. Pevsner N. "Yorkshire: The North Riding" 1966.


Listing NGR: SE6208578922

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.