This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1925 / 54°11'33"N
Longitude: -0.9965 / 0°59'47"W
OS Eastings: 465570
OS Northings: 477880
OS Grid: SE655778
Mapcode National: GBR PMHY.1V
Mapcode Global: WHF9Z.NWNB
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 4 January 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1173360
English Heritage Legacy ID: 329611
Location: Stonegrave, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO62
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Stonegrave
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Stonegrave Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: York
SE 67 NE STONEGRAVE MAIN STREET
(south-west side, off)
7/51 Church of the Holy
Church. Nave of Saxon origins, early C12 tower, mid C12 arcade, C15 upper
stage to tower, and substantial restoration and rebuilding of external walls
and chancel, 1863, by G. Fowler Jones. Limestone rubble and hammer dressed
rubble with ashlar facings, Westmorland slate roof. West tower, 3-bay
aisled nave with south porch, 2-bay chancel with organ chamber to north. 3-
stage tower. C15 2-light window in place of blocked round-headed west
doorway. Small round-headed window in second stage of south face, splayed
through full thickness of wall, its head being cut from a single stone.
Third stage is later addition with twin square-headed transomed belfry
openings to each face. Embattled parapet, the pinnacles being a Victorian
addition. The tower is built over and against the west wall of the nave,
thus suggesting an earlier date for the nave. The rest of the exterior of
the church is entirely of 1863 in High Victorian Gothic Style. Interior:
west doorway of nave is plain round-headed opening of different proportions
and builds on either side of the wall, an anomaly probably caused by a
thickening of the wall. The 2 western bays of the north arcade are
supported on massive cylindrical piers with scalloped capitals with
ornamented medallions incised into the ends of the scallops, except for west
respond which has waterleaf capital. The arches are of alternate brown and
white voussoirs and have hoodmoulds supported by beakheads. Later Norman,
more massive arcade to south with scalloped and foliate capitals. C10 wheel
cross, substantially intact, and several shaft fragments by south door.
Monuments include in north aisle effigy of a civilian of early C14, legs
crossed, hands in prayer, and two effigies, in low tomb recess with canopy,
to Robert Thornton, died 1418, and his wife, both with hands in prayer and
wearing pleated gowns. In the chancel are 2 brass memorials to members of
the Comber family, of late C17 / early C18, and an inscribed slab in the
floor in memory of Thomas Comber, Rector of Stonegrave and Dean of Durham,
died 1699. Over the priest's door hangs a painted memorial to William
Thornton, died 1668, unusual in that it is painted on canvas, not wood.
Pevsner N. "Yorkshire: The North Riding" 1966. Read H. "A Short History and
Description of The Church of The Holy Trinity, Stonegrave" n.d.
Taylor H. M. "Anglo-Saxon Architecture" 1965.
Listing NGR: SE6557077880
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings