History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

International University

A Grade II Listed Building in Hertsmere, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.653 / 51°39'10"N

Longitude: -0.3692 / 0°22'9"W

OS Eastings: 512914

OS Northings: 196170

OS Grid: TQ129961

Mapcode National: GBR 53.FM6

Mapcode Global: VHFSM.KQ55

Entry Name: International University

Listing Date: 2 December 1974

Last Amended: 12 August 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1173362

English Heritage Legacy ID: 164116

Location: Hertsmere, Hertfordshire, WD23

County: Hertfordshire

District: Hertsmere

Town: Hertsmere

Electoral Ward/Division: Bushey St James

Built-Up Area: Bushey

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Bushey

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Watford

Listing Text

TQ 19 NW BUSHEY THE AVENUE
(Northeast side)
Bushey

6/68 International University
2.12.74 (formerly listed as
Royal Masonic School)

GV II

Very large college group. Built 1899-1902 by Gordon, Lowther and Gunton
as Royal Masonic Institute for Boys. Red brick, stone dressings. Slate
roofs. Free Tudor Gothic style. Buildings ranged around a quadrangle:
symmetrical front with central tower, square corner towers with
radiating boarding blocks, hall to rear, SE side closed by cloister
only. Front range: 2 storeys with 3 storey projecting ends and very tall
4 stage entrance clock tower. 'RMIB 1900' in shield in Tudor arched head
to central entrance in porch. Diagonal buttresses. Pierced quatrefoils
in parapet with end pinnacles. In lower stage of tower over porch a
large window with a 4 centred arched head and panel tracery. Tall 2nd
stage: 2 large 3-light traceried lancets to each face in ashlar with
blind traceried heads. Rising full height of 2 lower stages are brick
semi-octagonal clasping buttresses with ashlar ogee caps with crocketed
finials. Third or clock stage and upper bell stage all ashlar. Clocks in
4 centred arched headed recesses with blind tracery and balustraded
bases. Chamfered angles. Bell stage with 8 openings to each side and
blind traceried angles. Leaded ogee shaped pavilion roof. Flanking tower
are 2-storey ranges: 1-bay link to slightly projecting 4-bay ranges with
2-bay projecting ends. 6-light stone mullion and transom casements,
chamfered surrounds, cusped and foiled heads to leaded upper lights.
Plinth. String courses. Stone coped parapets with stone pinnacles.
Octagonal turrets at angles with finialed ogee caps. Hipped roof with
end and centre stacks with stone caps. 2 bays at ends have larger
windows and a pair of cross windows in an attic. Ashlar gables with arms
in relief. Diagonal stone shafts from ground floor to ridge. Linked at
ends are 3 storey boarding blocks which are paired to form L's with 4
stage square towers at angles. Paired and single lancets in upper stage
of towers. Octagonal corner turrets with finialed ogee caps. Crenellated
parapet with pinnacles. 2 storey blocks flank towers in front of 3
storey blocks. To rear of front range facing quadrangle: a 2-storey
canted and buttressed central projection. Ground floor cross windows
with cusped heads, leaded panes. First floor arched headed windows.
Attached to rear are cloisters with 4 centred arches. Cloisters
interrupted to left of main range or NW by a 2 storey block. Rear block
has a 9-bay hall with large rectangular stone mullion and transom 6
light windows with leaded panes. Angled shafts rise to pinnacles over
stone coped parapet with intermediate smaller pinnacles. Octagonal end
piers with pinnacles. Steeply pitched roof with stone coped gable ends.
Flying buttresses to central 3 bays over cloisters. Gable ends of hall
have large arched traceried windows. Canted bay to rear of hall. Linked
to sides of hall are boarding blocks paired as at front with square
towers. Further extensions and additions. Interior: groin vaulted Gothic
entrance hall to imperial stair with gallery. (Pevsner 1977).


Listing NGR: TQ1291496170

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.