This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9971 / 50°59'49"N
Longitude: -2.6148 / 2°36'53"W
OS Eastings: 356952
OS Northings: 122149
OS Grid: ST569221
Mapcode National: GBR MP.KKCG
Mapcode Global: FRA 56DG.YZK
Entry Name: Chilton Cantelo House
Listing Date: 16 August 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1173489
English Heritage Legacy ID: 262626
Location: Chilton Cantelo, South Somerset, Somerset, BA22
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Chilton Cantelo
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST52SE CHILTON CANTELO CP
Chilton Cantelo House
Manor House, now school. C18 with earlier fragments, but extended and
"restored" in the 1860's leaving little original work. Local stone
worked to small ashlars, with Ham stone dressings; Welsh slate roofs
with Dutch gables, some parts with parapets; stone chimney stacks.
Complex building, mostly in a Jacobean style; of 2-storeys with attics.
Main North elevation of 7 bays, bay 6 occupied by projecting stacks, bay
7 blank. Central entrance door flanked by Doric attached columns and
pilasters, with sidelights between and semi-circular fanlight over door;
above a 4-light oriel style window: remaining windows of cruciform
pattern; dormer windows in roof with semi-circular timber heads with
pinnacles. West elevation of 5-bays with left-hand projecting gable and
square 5-lights wide 2-storey bay window. The interior not seen. In C13
associated with the Cantilupes of Barwick Manor, and sundry families
down to the Countess of Hertford (1729-80), then to Mrs John Old
Goodford, nee Maria Phelips of Montacute: most of the Old family
emigrated to the U.S.A., where they founded the Oldsmobile car
manufactory: the Goodfords still resident in the village. Henry Goodford
added the North extension and Hall prior to his death in 186S; the
kitchen and service accommodation added by his brother, the Rector in
circa 1865. It is not recorded if Sir Arthur Blomfield, restorer of the
Church, directed the work, but affinities in style make this likely.
(Francis Goulding, Ashington, Chilton Cantelo, Mudford - the Story of
Three Somerset Parishes,1982 Truman Press, Somersetshire Country Houses
and Villages, 1931-32).
Listing NGR: ST5695222149
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings