History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Cypress House, with Its Roadside Southern Boundary Wall and Two Pairs of Gate Piers

A Grade II Listed Building in Chilton Cantelo, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9974 / 50°59'50"N

Longitude: -2.6113 / 2°36'40"W

OS Eastings: 357196

OS Northings: 122181

OS Grid: ST571221

Mapcode National: GBR MQ.KD6Z

Mapcode Global: FRA 56FG.SLT

Entry Name: The Cypress House, with Its Roadside Southern Boundary Wall and Two Pairs of Gate Piers

Listing Date: 16 August 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1173519

English Heritage Legacy ID: 262628

Location: Chilton Cantelo, South Somerset, Somerset, BA22

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Chilton Cantelo

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Queen Camel

Listing Text

ST52SE CHILTON CANTELO CP


4/16 The Cypress House, with its
roadside Southern boundary wall
and two pairs of gate piers


GV II

Rectory, now house. Circa 1850, Ashlared local stone with Ham stone
dressings: hipped Welsh slate roof with wide eaves overhang; stone
chimney stacks. Almost square villa-type house of somewhat tall
proportions; small tower and extension to rear: 2-storeys with attics,
3-bays each side. West entrance has central pedimented porch with plain
pilasters framing double 2-panel doors: 4-pane sash windows in dressed
openings with flat voussoired and keystoned arches. 3-storey rear tower,
Ham stone faced, with low parapets and ball finials to corners, then a
one-storey extension. Front boundary wall in ashlared local stone with
plain copings, about 1.5 metres high; having 2-pairs stone gate piers,
square with heavy moulded caps terminating in stepped pyramids. Said to
have been built as the C19 successor to the Old Rectory (qv), presumably
by Revd. Charles Old Goodford after he became Rector in 1848 but before
he inherited the manor Chilton Cantelo House (qv) in 1863.


Listing NGR: ST5719622180

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.