History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Lawrence

A Grade II* Listed Building in Broxbourne, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7351 / 51°44'6"N

Longitude: -0.0389 / 0°2'19"W

OS Eastings: 535520

OS Northings: 205865

OS Grid: TL355058

Mapcode National: GBR KCK.30Z

Mapcode Global: VHGPW.8NT7

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Lawrence

Listing Date: 13 April 1961

Last Amended: 8 November 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1173566

English Heritage Legacy ID: 157396

Location: Broxbourne, Hertfordshire, EN10

County: Hertfordshire

District: Broxbourne

Town: Broxbourne

Electoral Ward/Division: Wormley and Turnford

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Broxbourne with Wormley

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Broxbourne

Listing Text

In the entry for HODDESDON CHURCH LANE
3/18 (south west side)
Wormley

Parish Church of
St Lawrence
The item shall be amended to read
HODDESDON CHURCH LANE
(south west side)
Wormley

Parish Church of
St Laurence

------------------------------------------

1.
5251 HODDESDON CHURCH LANE
(south west side)
Wormley
Parish Church of St
Lawrence
TL 30NE 3/18 13.4.61 (Formerly listed as Church of Saint
Laurence under Wormley)
II*


2.
C12 nave with Norman door and window and C15 windows. Restored
chancel, 1843-4. S aisle and porch added 1862 by J Clarke.
Roughcast, stone dressings, flint and stone dressings on S.
Machine tile roof. Norman door has 2 roll-moulded arches and
scalloped capitals. C15 windows have cusped arches and hood
moulds. Lancet windows to chancel, triplet on E end. Nave
interior with stilted arches on paired columns and C15 tie beam.
Saxon or early Norman circular font with frieze of upright
leaves, and cable mouldings forming panels. Jacobean hexagonal
oak pulpit with term figures. Choir has 1617 wall monument to
William Purvey on S side, in alabaster with carved angels and
putti. Painting ascribed to Palma vecchio presented 1797 on E
wall. Modern weatherboarded bell-cote on W end. (Pevsner
(1977) ).


Listing NGR: TL3552305866

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.