This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1325 / 54°7'57"N
Longitude: -0.7858 / 0°47'8"W
OS Eastings: 479436
OS Northings: 471421
OS Grid: SE794714
Mapcode National: GBR QNYN.PC
Mapcode Global: WHFBG.WDZ9
Entry Name: 49, Commercial Street
Listing Date: 25 April 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1173605
English Heritage Legacy ID: 329712
Location: Norton-on-Derwent, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO17
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Norton-on-Derwent
Built-Up Area: Norton-on-Derwent
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Norton St Peter
Church of England Diocese: York
SE 7971 NORTON-ON-DERWENT COMMERCIAL STREET
9/29 No 49 (originally known
as Freer's Family
Butcher's shop with flat above. 1912 on datestone. Red brick in Flemish
bond to front, with glazed tile shop front; variegated brick in garden wall
bond to sides; sandstone dressings; slate roof. 2-storey, 4-window front.
6-panel doors with overlights and shaped lintels to left and right of
shopfront. Shopfront, on plinth, has plain pilasters enriched with wheatear
drops and guttae supporting a full, dentilled, entablature with open
pediment to centre. The tympanum encloses a bull's head in high relief
within a roundel decorated with swags. Central half-glazed shop door
beneath keyed segment-arched overlight has doorcase of enriched Ionic
columns on pedestals. Mosaic floor panel in doorway displays original
butcher's name. Shop windows are plate glass to left and large-pane sash to
right, and are raised on risers of recessed rectangular panels with
chamfered corners. To first floor, paired narrow single-pane sashes with
shaped lintels and sills flank the rectangular datestone in plain surround.
Egg and dart moulded eaves course. Perforated ridge tiles to roof, and end
stacks. Interior: wall to left retains original decorative tiling and dado
rail. Shop window to left is tiled with lozenge-shaped panel to centre
containing bull's head.
Listing NGR: SE7943671421
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings