History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Low Hall with Forecourt Wall, Railing and 2 Gates

A Grade II Listed Building in Killinghall, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0263 / 54°1'34"N

Longitude: -1.5642 / 1°33'50"W

OS Eastings: 428649

OS Northings: 459007

OS Grid: SE286590

Mapcode National: GBR KPJW.5F

Mapcode Global: WHC8D.Y2B6

Entry Name: Low Hall with Forecourt Wall, Railing and 2 Gates

Listing Date: 8 March 1952

Last Amended: 29 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1173622

English Heritage Legacy ID: 331545

Location: Killinghall, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG3

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Killinghall

Built-Up Area: Killinghall

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Hampsthwaite and Killinghall

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Ripley

Listing Text

In the entry for:
KILLINGHALL RIPON ROAD
SE 25 NE (east side)

4/41 Low Hall with forecourt
8.3.52 wall, railing and 2
gates with gate piers.
(formerly listed as
'Low Hall')

GV II

The item shall be amended to read: Low Hall with forecourt
wall, railing and
2 gates (formerly
listed as 'Low Hall')

In the descriptive notes the following sentence shall be deleted:

"The piers to the double gates are ashlar and are chamfered in later C19 style as
the main range windows".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KILLINGHALL RIPON ROAD
SE 25 NE (east side)

4/41 Low Hall with forecourt
wall, railing and 2 gates
8.3.52 with gate piers
(formerly listed as 'Low Hall')

GV II

House and outbuilding, now restaurant. Low bay to left dated 1701, added
main range dated 1750, with mid-late C19 alterations and additions. Coursed
squared pink/grey gritstone, graduated stone slate roof, wrought-iron
railings. 2-storey, 3-bay main block with chamfered plinth and rusticated
quoins; lower 2-storey entrance bay to left with former outbuilding beyond
to left. Entrance bay: 4-panel door in cyma-moulded surround has the
inscription "1701" on the shallow triangular-headed lintel,
with rope motif in the spandrels. Recessed chamfered mullion windows of 4
lights to ground floor and 3 lights to first floor. Corniced stack left.
Former outbuilding, now part of restaurant to left has C20 bow window to
considerably advanced front elevation and long catslide roof. Main range:
former flat-faced mullion windows in stone architraves of 5, 3 and 3 lights
to each floor; the mullions are renewed to ground floor and have late C19
chamfering to first floor. The string course at first-floor level is broken
by the lead fall pipe, the rainwater head of which is dated 1750. Deep
moulded eaves cornice, gable copings, corniced stacks at each end and to
left of centre. Rear - flat-faced mullion windows blocked or altered in the
C18 and C20; C20 extension. Left return: a 2-light flat-faced mullion
window in projecting stone surround lights the attic storey. Right return:
a Cl9 porch to right, built against an adjoining wall, has paired Tuscan
columns carrying an entablature with cornice and blocking course; C20
glazing. First and attic-storey windows as left return. Forecourt wall,
railings and gates: low 1-course wall with heavy round coping stones is
ramped up to left (adjoining former outbuilding). Railings: 8 standards
with flower-bud finials and bars with spearhead finial; narrow gate left,
opposite the 1701 entrance, similar in style with dogbars; double gates to
right have foliated finials. The piers to the double gates are ashlar and
are chamfered in later C19 style as the main range windows. Interior: C18
fireplace with moulded surround to first floor of entrance bay; shutters to
main range; left and centre; an entrance hall rear right (from the porch)
contains a C19 staircase.


Listing NGR: SE2864959007

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.