This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1329 / 54°7'58"N
Longitude: -1.5213 / 1°31'16"W
OS Eastings: 431377
OS Northings: 470890
OS Grid: SE313708
Mapcode National: GBR KNTN.F7
Mapcode Global: WHC7V.LCSZ
Entry Name: Chapel of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 27 May 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1173650
English Heritage Legacy ID: 330009
Location: Ripon, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Ripon
Built-Up Area: Ripon
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Ripon Cathedral Parish with Littlethorpe
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 3170 RIPON BONDGATE
5/67 (east side)
Chapel of St John the
Mid-C19. Limestone ashlar. Slate roof. Nave and polygonally-apsed chancel.
Bell-cote corbelled as on west gable. South porch of timber with cusped openwork
tracered sides. Hipped roofed vestry. Small, and 2 and 4-light Perpendicular
windows. Four-light Early English window at west end with intersecting bar tracery.
History. The Hospital of St John, of which this is the successor chapel, was founded
between 1109 and 1114 by Archbishop Thomas II of York, for 3 purposes; to provide
hospitality for poor travellers, to support 4 or 5 poor clerks teaching in Ripon, and
to provide soup for the poor. It was re-endowed in 1340 by the then Master,
David de Wollore, Master of the Rolls to Edward III, and a canon of Ripon, in order to
support of chaplain and poor boys attending the grammar schools in Ripon. In 1544-5
it was re-organised as an Almshouse by Archbishop Lee; and when James I re-founded the
College in 1604 its mastership (together with the Hospital of St Mary) was annexed to
the new foundation as a perpetual gift. From the late C17 the masterships of the
2 hospitals were amalgamated in the office of Dean of Ripon.
In this period, when the Mastership was a sinecure, the Hospital had some notable
masters including John Bramhall (Inter Archbishop of Armagh) (Master 1625-34), his
successor Dr John Wilkins (Oliver Cromwell's brother-in-law, co-founder of the Royal
Society and Bishop of Chester), and, in the C18, Heneage Dering, reputed to be the
richest cleric in England.
As a result of the Charity Commissioners' Report of 1800, the 2 hospitals' estates
were re-organised in 1864, enabling the premises to be rebuilt.
The mediaeval chapel was not mentioned in the Valor Ecclesiasticus (1535), so it was
either insignificant or non-existent. A chapel existed by 1812, when it was let to a
National School. In 1864 the school had moved, and the chapel was ruins. The present
chapel was built on an ambitious scale, with seating for 200, at a cost of £1,200,
thereby incurring a debt of £700.
Listing NGR: SE3137770890
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings