History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Nicholas (Church of England)

A Grade II* Listed Building in Great Munden, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8997 / 51°53'59"N

Longitude: -0.0317 / 0°1'54"W

OS Eastings: 535519

OS Northings: 224185

OS Grid: TL355241

Mapcode National: GBR K9F.YLJ

Mapcode Global: VHGP3.DJL0

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Nicholas (Church of England)

Listing Date: 24 January 1967

Last Amended: 24 January 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1173651

English Heritage Legacy ID: 161299

Location: Great Munden, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG11

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Great Munden

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: The Mundens

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Ardeley

Listing Text

Great Munden
TL 3524 GREAT MUNDEN WOOD END ROAD
(north side)

11/7 Parish Church of
St Nicholas
24.1.67 (C of E)
(Formerly listed under rural district
GV of Ware)
II*

Parish church. Early C12 nave and chancel, mid C14 S aisle, late
C15 W tower and chancel arch. Restoration 1865-6 by George and
Henry Godwin renewed arcade. S porch 1874 (replacing C16 brick
porch shown in 1832 drawing by J C Buckler) repaired 1929. Flint
rubble with flint facing and stone dressings. Pudding stone base
course to tower. Steep old red tile roof to chancel and timber S
porch. Low-pitched nave roof now slated. Copper roof to S aisle
and small spire. Original C12 features include round arched N
door (blocked) with external colonettes, cushion capitals and
bowtel moulded arch; N jamb of chancel arch with round shafts to
each angle,volute capital with grotesque face, and chamfered
impost surviving in chancel; and small round-headed N window in
chancel with deep internal splays. A Norman arch is said to be
covered over in N side of chancel. Wide S aisle c1350, probably
built as a burial place by the de Boys family, has a 3-bay arcade
with octagonal piers (restored), fine Dec windows to E (3-light)
and W (2-light), 2 wide ogee headed tomb-recesses and a piscina
in the S wall, an early C15 panelled stone reredos with ogee
headed niches and embattled moulding, 2 3-light windows in the S
wall (restored) and S door with 2 moulded orders. The nave has a
C14 doorway into the W tower, a C15 image niche on the N wall
crocketted and finialled with traces of painting, 3 C15 3-light N
windows each with a different head, and a late C15 4-centred
depressed chancel arch widened to S. 3-bay C15 queen-post open
roof to nave with braces to purlins and principals, moulded wall-
posts on carved stone musical angel corbels and curved braces
with pierced quatrefoil spandrels. Similar spandrels and wall
posts to 3-bay S aisle roof with moulded purlins and stone
corbels. C19 boarded waggon roof to chancel. E window C19, C14
S doorway and C15 2-light window. Unbuttressed, 3-stage, W tower
with enbattled parapet and small set-back spire with vane.
Narrow windows in 2 lower stages repaired with tile slips by SPAB
technique. A string course marks each stage. Wide pointed bell-
chamber openings. Fittings include an hexagonal Jacobean oak
pulpit said to have been a bequest of Sir Robert Cecil, early C16
chancel stalls with carved ends and initials 'RK' for rector
Robert King (1510-1538), and octagonal font c1891 carved with
floral panels and on an octagonal rose marble shaft with moulded
stone base. 2 monuments on S wall of aisle to Sarah and Gratiana
Spence 1753 and 1776 in the form of bellied cartouches with
hatchment carved at top. (RCHM (1911) 104: VCH (1912) 128-29:
Pevsner (1977) 153: H C Andrews History of the Church of St
Nicholas, Much Munden (n.d.) pamplet available at church).


Listing NGR: TL3551924185

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.