History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary Ponsbourne

A Grade II Listed Building in Hatfield, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7289 / 51°43'44"N

Longitude: -0.1168 / 0°7'0"W

OS Eastings: 530159

OS Northings: 205030

OS Grid: TL301050

Mapcode National: GBR KCG.F9R

Mapcode Global: VHGPT.XTM0

Entry Name: Church of St Mary Ponsbourne

Listing Date: 9 December 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1173661

English Heritage Legacy ID: 158451

Location: Hatfield, Welwyn Hatfield, Hertfordshire, SG13

County: Hertfordshire

District: Welwyn Hatfield

Civil Parish: Hatfield

Built-Up Area: Newgate Street

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Ponsbourne St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Little Berkhampstead

Listing Text

Newgate Street
TL 30 NW HATFIELD NEWGATE STREET VILLAGE
(north street)

10/188 Church of St Mary
Ponsbourne
-

GV II


Church. 1848, enlarged 1858 by Lander and Bedells. Chancel 1887
by H Hardwicke Langston. Rusticated stone. Slate roof.
Cruciform plan. Early English Gothic style. Steeple at SW angle
contains porch: Square buttressed base, changing to octagonal
spire with miniature-arcade of trefoiled arches at its base.
Door on W with 3 orders of arches and shafts with stiff leaf
capitals. Nave has 3-light W window. Single lancets to sides.
Triple lancets to transepts. Dogtooth course at eaves. Chancel
has corbelled eaves and 3-light plate tracery E window.

Interior is undivided with collar purlin roof carried on bosses
which carry carved wooden angels. Elaborate circular stone
pulpit with naturalistic leaf carving and sculptured figures at
base. (Pevsner (1977) ).


Listing NGR: TL3015905030

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.