This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7135 / 51°42'48"N
Longitude: -0.45 / 0°27'0"W
OS Eastings: 507182
OS Northings: 202782
OS Grid: TL071027
Mapcode National: GBR G77.F1V
Mapcode Global: VHFSD.46Y7
Entry Name: 15,17 and 19, High Street
Listing Date: 2 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1173713
English Heritage Legacy ID: 157663
Location: Kings Langley, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, WD4
Civil Parish: Kings Langley
Built-Up Area: Hemel Hempstead
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: King's Langley
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
KINGS LANGLEY HIGH STREET
TL 0702 (East side)
- Nos. 15/17, and 19
House, now 3 shops. C16 or earlier, C17 SE rear wing, brick front has
engraved over door to No. 19 'JL E 1781', N bay rebuilt in brick with
rear gable c.1900. Timber frame, brick nogged at rear with tilehung SE
gable, and painted red brick front tuck pointed. Steep old red tile roof
carried down as catslide over brick built rear outshut. A 2-storeys and
part cellar long 4-windows range fronting W onto the High Street.
Original plan possibly a row of 4 square tenements but probably a 3-unit
cross passage house with wide through passage a S end of No. 17, hall
and S parlour in No. 19, narrow service bay in N part of No. 17, and a
rear contemporary wide bay, possibly a separate tenement at No. 15.
Shallow C17 SE rear gabled wing of 2 storeys is wider than the S parlour
bay. C17 internal rear wall chimney in hall and turned balusters in
enclosure to stair in parlour next to door from hall. The whole sub-
divided in 1781 with a double fronted house at S (No.19) and a house and
a shop in N half (Nos. 15 and 17).W elevation of 2 storeys with pilaster
at centre and near each end. N half has 2 recessed sash windows to 1st
floor with 3/3 panes:S half has 2 3-light wooden casement windows. No.15
has a wide recessed sash window with 10/10 panes beside the simple
boarded door, both with segmental arches. No. 17 has a late Georgian
small-paned shopfront, with canted bay window and fascia projecting to
shelter the half-glazed door. Similar C20 matching canted bays with
fascias now flank the boarded door in simple heavy frame under segmental
arch at No. 19. Interior has jowled posts, curved tension bracing,curved
braces to heavy tie-beams and queen-strut clasped purlin roof structure.
Axial beams support floors. Walls have storey-height studs a metre or so
apart, and an old photograph shows the N gable was of similar framing.
The C17 SE rear wing has a clasped-purlin roof with straight braces from
jowled posts to tie-beam. Cellar under No. 15 has flint and stone blocks
in S wall. (KLLHMS Report 1978 in NMR).
Listing NGR: TL0718202782
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings