History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Saracen Head Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7125 / 51°42'44"N

Longitude: -0.4494 / 0°26'57"W

OS Eastings: 507223

OS Northings: 202664

OS Grid: TL072026

Mapcode National: GBR G77.M5J

Mapcode Global: VHFSD.5771

Entry Name: The Saracen Head Public House

Listing Date: 26 January 1967

Last Amended: 2 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1173743

English Heritage Legacy ID: 157666

Location: Kings Langley, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, WD4

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

Civil Parish: Kings Langley

Built-Up Area: Hemel Hempstead

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: King's Langley

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Kings Langley

Listing Text

KINGS LANGLEY HIGH STREET
TL 0702 (East side)

13/135 The Saracens Head PH
26.1.67 (formerly listed as The Saracens
Head Inn)

GV II

Inn. C16 N wing, C17 front range and NE extension to wing, brick front
early C18, altered internally 1967. Timber frame on brick sill, dark
weatherboarding to N and E gables but N wall with brick infill painted
white. Red brick front now painted. Steep old red tile roofs hipped with
gablet at N. 3-cells 2-storeys, with N-end crosswing extending to rear.
Large central chimney at junction of main range and crosswing 3 windows
irregular W front to road with 3-light mullioned casement windows under
deep segmental arches on ground floor, moulded wooden cornice at eaves,
tiled gabled weatherboarded porch and irregular group of square shafted
chimneys in red brick in front slope of roof. Jowled posts, side-purlin
roof, curved brace, and large rectangular panels. Extant lease of 1619.
N wing has curved wind-braces to a collar truss clasped purlin 2-bay
roof. Unjowled posts and straight braces to C17 NE part. 4-centred brick
arched fireplace on 1st floor on S side of stack with relief plaster
decoration on chimney breast of a lozenge shaped vine-scroll border with
large crown over a 5 lobed rose within 2 circles of ornament (c.1600).
(KLLHMS Report 1980 in NMR).


Listing NGR: TL0722302664

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.