History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Thomas

A Grade II Listed Building in Osbaldwick, York

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 53.959 / 53°57'32"N

Longitude: -1.0337 / 1°2'1"W

OS Eastings: 463502

OS Northings: 451867

OS Grid: SE635518

Mapcode National: GBR PQ7N.0K

Mapcode Global: WHFC4.3R1B

Entry Name: Church of St Thomas

Listing Date: 29 January 1953

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1173752

English Heritage Legacy ID: 328682

Location: Osbaldwick, York, YO19

County: York

Civil Parish: Osbaldwick

Built-Up Area: York

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Osbaldwick St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


(south side)
Church of St Thomas


Church. C12 in origin with extensive restoration of 1877 by J Oldrid Scott
and alterations and additions of 1967 by A Mennim. Hammer-dressed
limestone, plain tile roof. Medieval 4-bay nave and chancel, south transept
with vestry and porch to south and organ chamber to south-east of 1967.
West front: 2-light plate-traceried window beneath round arch with hood-
mould and label stops, with oculus and bellcote above. C20 porch to right.
Nave: north side has 3 windows as west front, the central one being a
restoration, and 2 full-length C20 windows. The south side of the nave is
obscured by the flat-roofed vestry. The 3-light Perpendicular window in the
south wall of the south transept is relocated from the east front which is
now blind. Interior: substantially remodelled on L-shaped plan in 1967.
Jacobean pulpit and communion rail. East side of south transept has
relocated round-arched doorway. Monument in south wall to Mary Ward: "To
love the poore, persever in the same, live, dy and rise with them was all
the ayme of Mary Ward who having lived 60 years and 8 days dyed the 20th of
Jan 1641."

Listing NGR: SE6350251867

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.