History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Weir at North End of the Canal, with Piers, Fishing Pavilions and Balustrade

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lindrick with Studley Royal and Fountains, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1167 / 54°7'0"N

Longitude: -1.5728 / 1°34'21"W

OS Eastings: 428025

OS Northings: 469063

OS Grid: SE280690

Mapcode National: GBR KNGV.91

Mapcode Global: WHC7T.TS8G

Entry Name: Weir at North End of the Canal, with Piers, Fishing Pavilions and Balustrade

Listing Date: 6 March 1967

Last Amended: 11 June 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1173821

English Heritage Legacy ID: 331072

Location: Lindrick with Studley Royal and Fountains, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Lindrick with Studley Royal an

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Ripon

Listing Text

SE 2769 LINDRICK WITH STUDLEY STUDLEY PARK
ROYAL AND FOUNTAINS
Weir at north end of the
9/68 Canal, with piers, fishing
pavilions and balustrade
6.3.67 (formerly listed as
Fishing Tabernacles)


GV II*


Weir or cascade, piers, fishing pavilions, gate piers to east and walling
with balustrade to west. Begun 1716. By John Simpson, stone cutter for
John Aislabie, and completed by Robert Doe in 1728. Gritstone and ashlar,
with Westmorland slate roofs to pavilions. North face: cascade of 4 steps
flanked by piers with bands of frosted rustication and ball finials. Each.
flanking revetment wall has a stone mask, and water spout, with stone basin
projecting beneath mask to right. Walls terminate with fishing pavilions
built over double-arched sluices from the Canal (qv), which project as
bastions into the lake with a Venetian window, moulded eaves cornice, pyramidal
roof, ball finial and weather vane. To east: 3 piers (gates restored),
approximately 2 metres high having moulded bases, deep cornices and flat
caps. The revetment wall west of the west fishing pavilion by Robert Doe
has 2 heavy bull-nose mouldings and is surmounted by a balustrade with vase-
shaped balusters and square piers supporting a moulded coping with ball
finials. South elevation: the fishing pavilions each have a 6-panel door
in architrave with double keystone. Left and right returns of fishing
pavilions: sash with glazing bars in eared architrave with cornice.
Interior of fishing pavilions: west pavilion destroyed by-fire c1960; east
pavilion has a projecting sill below the Venetian window, with dado and
moulded skirting. The weir or cascade with the flanking bastions were
amongst the first of the garden structures to be built. The Canal (qv) was
begun in 1716 and this northern termination and major feature in the scheme
was begun before the South Sea Bubble of 1720, after which John Aislabie
retired from politics and devoted himself to the work at Studley Royal. The
parapeted wall to west of the tabernacle replaced an earlier earthern
embankment. The ball finials originally alternated with decorated and
handled lead urns. 2 survive in store at time of resurvey. The heavy bull-
nose moulding is similar to that on the Octagon Tower (qv) which was
Gothicized in 1738. Undergoing restoration at time of resurvey. G Beard,
Studley Royal, Country Life, 1961. W T C Walker, personal communication.


Listing NGR: SE2802569063

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.