This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.4537 / 54°27'13"N
Longitude: -0.6645 / 0°39'52"W
OS Eastings: 486684
OS Northings: 507297
OS Grid: NZ866072
Mapcode National: GBR RJSY.Y7
Mapcode Global: WHGB3.RBR2
Entry Name: The Old Vicarage
Listing Date: 6 October 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1173839
English Heritage Legacy ID: 327526
Location: Eskdaleside cum Ugglebarnby, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO22
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Eskdaleside cum Ugglebarnby
Built-Up Area: Sleights
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Eskdaleside (or Sleigts) St John
Church of England Diocese: York
ESKDALESIDE-CUM-UGGLEBARNBY COACH ROAD
(east side), Sleights
17/55 The Old Vicarage
6.10.69 (No 115)
Vicarage, now private house. Dated 1765. Part altered c.1790; further
alteration and extension in late C19. By Robert Bower and Gertrude
Burdett, for the Curate of the Parish. Herringbone-tooled sandstone with
ashlar dressings; partly rendered at rear. Pantile roof; slate roof to
rear. Rebuilt brick stacks on stone bases. Central stairhall plan with
two rear wings; service extension added. 2-storey, 3-window front, with
1-storey, 1-window wing at left. Panelled front door in architrave
beneath moulded cornice hood and blind quatrefoil frieze. Oval date panel
over door, carved in low relief with opposed and entwined initials RB and
GB. Windows are C20 4-pane lights replacing 12-pane sashes in original
openings with triple keyblock architraves. Stone sills to all windows.
Moulded eaves cornice over frieze of blind quatrefoils, returned at each
end. Coped gables and shaped kneelers. End stacks. Wing has small sash
window and left end stack.
Interior. Open-string, quarter-turn staircase rises through house to
attics: turned balusters on urn pedestals and moulded handrail, wreathed
at foot around newel, swept up to first floor and ramped to attics;
shaped cheekpieces. Ground floor: entrance hall has fretted cornice.
Right front room has enriched stone chimneypiece with cornice shelf on
consoles, alcove with shaped shelves beneath elliptical arch on pilasters,
and moulded dado rail and cornice; shutters and window recess of fielded
panelling. First floor: triple-keyblock, round-arched opening with
imposts divides first floor landing. Front left room has plain chimney-
piece, with original firegrate, surmounted by eared overmantel panel;
flanking cupboards with 6-panel doors beneath small wall cupboards with
fielded panel doors and shaped shelves; moulded cornice and panelled
window recess. Front right room is said to contain panelling similar to
that in left front room but covered over. Attics: rear left room has
chimneypiece with moulded shelf and original firegrate. Roof: four
scissor-braced trusses with notched principals and tenoned purlins.
RCHM, Houses of the North York Moors, pp.47,48,222; figs.57,385c,405,411b.
Listing NGR: NZ8668407297
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings