This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1313 / 51°7'52"N
Longitude: -3.3498 / 3°20'59"W
OS Eastings: 305646
OS Northings: 137755
OS Grid: ST056377
Mapcode National: GBR LP.955J
Mapcode Global: VH6GV.WTFM
Entry Name: Leonard Wills Field Centre
Listing Date: 22 May 1969
Last Amended: 21 December 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1173856
English Heritage Legacy ID: 264791
Location: Nettlecombe, West Somerset, Somerset, TA4
District: West Somerset
Civil Parish: Nettlecombe
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST03NE NETTLECOMBE CP
5/33 Leonard Wills Field Centre
(formerly listed as Nettlecombe
Shown on OS map as Nettlecombe Court (school). Manor house, now field studies centre. Late medieval hall, cross passage
and wing, now kitchens and pantry, 1599 entrance front, porch, great hall and parlour, circa 1641 addition to rear of
great hall, 1703-7 South West front extended and staircase added in angle, plasterwork on stair 1753, South West wing
decorated 1787-8, house stuccoed and North East service range added early C19, stucco removed mid C20. Squared and
coursed red sandstone, moulded plinth, coped parapets, finials, slate roofs, hipped right. Plan: hall and screens
passage, to right "L"-shaped block of earlier house with later wing forming service, courtyard, left of hall South West
wing, the garden front, staircase in angle. 2 and 3 storeys, 2:1:2:1:2:2 bays; 3 storey gabled porch fith bay right, 3
and a half storey left gable end 2 bays, openings blocked, first floor 3-light ovolo-moulded mullions, except 4 bays
right, all 12 pane sash windows, third bay left under stone relieving arch 3 x 5 pane mullioned transomed oriel window
two hall windows right 3 x 3 light, also under relieving arches, Tudor arch opening to porch set in square hood mould,
date 1599 in spandrel. Left return, garden front brick faced, 2 storeys, central attic gabled window, 9 bays, C20 4
pane sash windows, central pedimented Ionic porch. Kitchen courtyard has late C17 leaded cruciform windows and reset
moulded medieval doorcases in North East wing. Interior: fine strapwork moulded plaster ceiling with pendents in Great
Hall, plaster work overmantel, early C18 bolection moulded panelling, decorated organ in gallery of 1666 by John
Loosemore, repaired and enlarged C19; stair with turned balusters, inlaid landing floors, and delicate rococo
plasterwork; heavy plasterwork decoration in small dining parlour behind great hall, dated 1641, similar in room above;
circa 1700 plasterwork in office, similar in room above; Adam style decoration in South West wing under direction of
Samuel Heal, ceiling and marble fireplace in drawing room, Ionic screen and plasterwork cornice to dining room. The
house became a boys' preparatory school in 1963 and the Leonard Wills Field Centre in 1967. A fine collection of
interiors, notable for having good examples of plasterwork for 5 different periods, only C19 examples are absent.
(Photograph in NMR, VCH Somerset, vol 5 forthcoming; Bush and Corbett, Nettlecombe Court, Field studies 4, 1970;
Country Life, I February 1908).
Listing NGR: ST0564637755
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings