This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1155 / 54°6'55"N
Longitude: -1.5733 / 1°34'23"W
OS Eastings: 427990
OS Northings: 468929
OS Grid: SE279689
Mapcode National: GBR KNGV.5G
Mapcode Global: WHC7T.TT0C
Entry Name: Canal Approximately 500 Metres Long, with the Drum Falls and Weir Inlet
Listing Date: 11 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1173904
English Heritage Legacy ID: 331076
Location: Lindrick with Studley Royal and Fountains, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Lindrick with Studley Royal an
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SE 2869 LINDRICK WITH STUDLEY STUDLEY PARK
SE 2768 ROYAL AND FOUNTAINS
9/72 Canal approximately 500
metres long, with the
Drum Falls and weir inlet
Canal between the Rustic Bridge (qv) and the Cascade (qv), with weir inlet
at south end. Begun c1718 for John Aislabie. Gritstone and clay.
Approximately 500 metres long and 10 metres wide, with a change in direction
at the weir known as Drum Falls. Canal: stone lining and clay puddled base,
the lining collapsed along most of its length. A shallow segmental arch on
east side approximately 10 metres from the Rustic Bridge (qv) covers sluice
outlet. Drum Falls: flanking walls and sluice rebuilt 1984 after the
collapse of the wooden core to the dam. Although the excavation of the
canal began in 1718 the canal bank was still being built in 1727-28 with
surface stone from Galphay Moor. The south (inlet) end is framed by the
Rustic Bridge (qv), originally the limit of the formal water garden, and at
the north (outlet) end is the cascade of the weir (qv) into the lake. The
canal was the axis of a long view from north of the lake, over Tent Hill and
the Temple of Venus, to How Hill Tower, Markington (qv) - a distance of 1½
miles. The Drum Falls takes its name from the rhythm heard in the water
emerging from the curved tunnel at the Rustic Bridge (qv) and dropping over
the weir into the lower stretch. The rhythm varies with the water volume
and can be seen as well as heard. W T C Walker, Studley Royal and Fountains
Abbev Estate, 1976.
Listing NGR: SE2799068929
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings