History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cell Lodge and Adjoining Gates and Gatepiers

A Grade II Listed Building in Markyate, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8399 / 51°50'23"N

Longitude: -0.4633 / 0°27'48"W

OS Eastings: 505964

OS Northings: 216817

OS Grid: TL059168

Mapcode National: GBR G5N.PNZ

Mapcode Global: VHFRS.X0DV

Entry Name: Cell Lodge and Adjoining Gates and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 19 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1173916

English Heritage Legacy ID: 157924

Location: Markyate, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, AL3

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

Civil Parish: Markyate

Built-Up Area: Markyate

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Markyate Street St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Markyate

Listing Text

MARKYATE CHURCH END
TL 0516
(North side)
7/145 Cell Lodge and
- adjoining gates and
gatepiers

GV II

Gatelodge to Cell Park, now a private house, and adjoining gates and
gatepiers. Early/mid C19 for D G Adey, possibly by Robert Lugar
(c.1773-1855) who altered the main house 1825-6. Lodge extended to E in
matching style. Plum brick with blue headers, sandstone blocks
incorporated in gate piers, and moulded stucco window dressings. E
extension in plum brick with band of black brick at base. Steep red tile
roofs. Boarded doors between gate piers. Irregular, 2-storeys,
Elizabethan style lodge linked by 3M high wall with small gate to pair
of 4M high composite gatepiers with timber boarded gates and overthrow
to W. The lodge has moulded gable parapets, large internal chimney with
4 diagonally set square shafts with corbelled heads, 4-centred Tudor
arch in plaster to single-storey gabled porch on W outside park. Canted
stone bay window on N side within park. Extension in form of 2-storeys
crosswing with matching moulded gable parapets and lower gabled parts
projecting on E behind garden wall. Transomed windows in stucco with
chamfered and ovolo-moulded frames, and metal opening lights. Earlier
parts have moulded stone gutters ending as gargoyles at gable parapets.
Depressed 2-centred pointed stone arch to side gate with characteristic
impost blocks of 3 stepped projections to side. Each gatepier formed of
a taller rectangular brick pier 'rusticated' by projecting narrower
brick course every 5th course in height, and with massive sandstone
block at base and near top, rock faced with drafted margins. Deep coved
overhang to capping stone in Egyptian manner. Lower brick supporting
pier to outside with blind half-arch between.


Listing NGR: TL0596416817

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.