This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0481 / 51°2'53"N
Longitude: -2.9749 / 2°58'29"W
OS Eastings: 331759
OS Northings: 128094
OS Grid: ST317280
Mapcode National: GBR M6.GB4R
Mapcode Global: FRA 46NB.WC5
Entry Name: Barn and Attached Store in the Farmyard at Lyng Court
Listing Date: 24 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1173947
English Heritage Legacy ID: 269549
Location: Lyng, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA3
Civil Parish: Lyng
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST32NW WEST LYNG
7/27 Barn and attached store in the
farmyard at Lyng Court
Tithe barn, for Athelney Abbey. Late medieval, much C18 and C19 alteration;
extended circa C19. Limestone rubble, some coursed and squared with a Ham Hill stone plinth with set-off, and stone and brick dressings. A hipped pantiled roof.
PLAN: Rectangular 7 bay plan, with a central threshing bay with opposing entrances. Extended at south end.
EXTERIOR: Substantial 2-stage buttresses at 3 corners with set-offs and ruined fragments of the base of fourth, north west butress. Plain ventilation slits to all sides are stone-framed with wide internal splays, some are blocked. Principal elevation has projecting entrance porch, angle-buttresses each side of doorway, set-offs; bricked up principal opening with chamfered jambs and springers of the original arch, small C19 doorway inserted; chamfered 4-centred head door opening in porch side wall, blocked. Attached to south is a C19 covered store of similar materials with a double- Roman tiled roof that is half-hipped to south. There is a large opening to east and a smaller entrance with brick dressings on west side.
INTERIOR: Seven bay interior with later roof, three machine-cut king post trusses with diagonal braces in south half and three trusses with principals linked by tie-beams and collars in north half, probably C19. One single, medieval truss with an arch-braced collar survives in the west porch. Some projecting corbels are set high up and probably mark a former floor level. The central threshing bay is now planked and a modern vehicle inspection pit has been cut into it.
HISTORY: The manor of Lyng formed part of King Alfred's endowment to the Benedictine abbey of Athelney on its foundation in the tenth century. A house known as the "Court" is documented at Lyng in 1529, and there is a suggestion that there was also a chapel at the site. Following the abbey's dissolution in 1539, Lyng passed into lay hands.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: This is a substantially intact late medieval tithe barn, with attached C19 covered store. It originally formed part of the estate of the abbey of Athelney and, despite the loss of the original roof, retains much of its original plan, outward form and architectural detailing.
SOURCE: Bond, J. "Athelney Abbey's Barn at Lyng Court Farm, West Lyng, Somerset" 2005, unpublished
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings