This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.113 / 54°6'46"N
Longitude: -1.5714 / 1°34'16"W
OS Eastings: 428119
OS Northings: 468658
OS Grid: SE281686
Mapcode National: GBR KNGW.LB
Mapcode Global: WHC7T.TWX7
Entry Name: Temple of Fame on Cliff Top at South Side of Moon Pond
Listing Date: 6 March 1967
Last Amended: 11 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1173994
English Heritage Legacy ID: 331089
Location: Lindrick with Studley Royal and Fountains, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Lindrick with Studley Royal an
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SE 2868 LINDRICK WITH STUDLEY STUDLEY PARK
ROYAL AND FOUNTAINS
9/85 Temple of Fame on cliff
top at south side of Moon
6.3.67 Pond (formerly listed as
Temple of Fame)
Rotunda. 1729. By Thomas Buck and Robert Doe for John Aislabie. Moved
from original site and rebuilt probably 1780-81 by William Aislabie,
restored C19 and late C20. Gritstone podium and pillar bases, wooden
pillars and superstructure, lead-covered dome. 3 steps to platform
approximately 4 metres in diameter, the slabs laid in radiating circles.
The 8 columns are Roman Doric, the fluted entablature has paterae and
modillioned cornice, with parapet and dome above. The rotunda originally
stood close to the Banqueting House (qv) and had Ionic columns, but is now
situated on a view point towards that structure across the Moon Pond (qv).
During restorations 3 different styles of capital were identified, and 2
stone column drums now flank the gateway to Fountains Hall (qv). The 1781
design, followed in the 1970 restoration, may have been by Robert Adam who
was employed by William Aislabie at his houses in Grosvenor Square and
Hendon (Walker). G Beard, Studley Royal, Country Life, 1961.
W T C Walker, personal communication.
Listing NGR: SE2811968658
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings