This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0406 / 54°2'26"N
Longitude: -1.5666 / 1°33'59"W
OS Eastings: 428480
OS Northings: 460603
OS Grid: SE284606
Mapcode National: GBR KPHQ.M9
Mapcode Global: WHC86.XP5R
Entry Name: Post Office town Hall
Listing Date: 15 March 1966
Last Amended: 18 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1174009
English Heritage Legacy ID: 331593
Location: Ripley, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG3
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Ripley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
RIPLEY MAIN STREET
SE 2860-2960 (east side)
8/88 Town Hall and Post Office
(formerly listed separately as
15.3.66 Hotel de Ville and Post Office)
Town Hall and Post Office, 1854 for Louisa, the widow of Sir William
Amcotts Ingilby as the final building in the estate village. Coursed
squared gritstone and ashlar, grey slate roof. A tall single-storey hall 1
bay wide and 5 bays long with recessed flanking bays. In an ornate Gothic
style. Moulded plinth. The main entrance is on the north side: 5 steps up
to the central double-board doors in an elaborate battlemented porch with
angle buttresses, crocketted finials and squirrel and boar's head motifs-.
The flanking and first-floor windows are of 2 cusped lights under deep
square hoodmoulds,a narrow door into the hall-far right. Continuous first-
floor and eaves string course. Battlemented parapet, small chimney stack
far right. Rear: 5 steps up to a board door in a moulded Tudor arch; 3-
light window left; 3 windows, of 2, 1 and 2 lights above. Left return: the
stonework is rock-faced ashlar; a massive 5-light Perpendicular window is
flanked by corner turrets. Right return (to street): central gabled bay
with a 2-tier canted bay window, centre, which has cusped lights in 2 tiers
and an inscription below the crenellated parapet: 'HOTEL / DE VILLE / 1854'.
Flanking octagonal battlemented turrets and crow-stepped gable with chimney
at apex and inscription in moulded architrave with hoodmould, below an angel
holding a shield, which reads: 'THIS / TOWN HALL / was commenced by / Sir Wm
Amcotts Ingilby Bar / For the use and benefit / of the inhabitants. It was
/ completed by his widow / in Honour of his Memory'. The French name for
the town hall reflects Sir William's long association with and interest in
France and Switzerland. The building unites the architectural features of
the Castle and the Church, although the latter was not restored until 1862.
The crenellations and octagonal buttresses imitate the roofline of the
earliest parts of the Castle, while the decorated windows and the finials
are very similar to those in the church. The squirrel and boar's head above
the entrance are also on the parapet of the Orangery (qv). The interior not
inspected at resurvey.
Listing NGR: SE2848060603
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings