This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1339 / 54°8'2"N
Longitude: -1.52 / 1°31'11"W
OS Eastings: 431462
OS Northings: 471006
OS Grid: SE314710
Mapcode National: GBR KNTM.QV
Mapcode Global: WHC7V.MCD6
Entry Name: Remains of Mediaeval St Annes Hospital
Listing Date: 27 May 1949
Last Amended: 19 March 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1174023
English Heritage Legacy ID: 330068
Location: Ripon, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Ripon
Built-Up Area: Ripon
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Ripon Cathedral Parish with Littlethorpe
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 3171 RIPON HIGH SAINT AGNESGATE
1/6 (south side)
Remains of the
GV mediaeval St Anne's
(formerly listed as St
C14. Limestone. All that remains is the "chancel", which was the Hospital chapel;
the "nave" which housed the Hospital itself was pulled down in 1869. Roofless.
Chancel arch at west end. Two-light Decorated window at east end. Stone altar slab.
History. The date of foundation is unknown, but the street (whose name is a
corruption of St Anne's Gate) was referred to as "Annesgate" in 1228. The earliest
reference to the Hospital itself is in 1438, but from the architectural evidence it is
clearly older. Traditionally founded by one of the Nevilles. Supported by alms
alone, at least until the earliest recorded endowment in 1680. Its early
administration is unknown, but from time immemorial it was administered by the Mayor
and Corporation, and used to house and support 8 poor widows.
Listing NGR: SE3146071009
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings